1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

speaking of glove boxes (car part terminology)

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Marg, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Marg

Marg New Member

There has recently been a thread about lights in glove boxes.

That got me to thinking about a perpetual debate between my husband and me.

He calls it a glove box. I call it a glove compartment. We each think the other's terminology is weird. He grew about in the Toronto area. I grew up in Saskatchewan (western Canadian prairies area) but my parents are from Nova Scotia (east coast of Canada). I suspect I picked up the terminology from my parents, but I seem to recall that my Saskatchewan friends also called it a compartment.

Do all of you Americans call it a glove box, or do some of you call it a glove compartment? Does this vary by region?

My husband and I have other small differences as well. For exit, he says egg-zit and I say eck-sit. For often, he says off-ten and I say off-n.

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Glove compartment comes to mind for me, I grew up in So. Cal. Can't say I remember people using anything different here in VT, now I'll have to pay attention. ;-)

I'd go with you on 'exit' and 'often' as well. Though I do say Milton and St. Albans, not Mil'n and SnAlbans, so people know I didn't grow up in THOSE towns. :)

My 9 Y/O and I just went through tomorrow having no 'a' in it even though we all pronounce it 'tomarrow'. Some long while back we had a TV weather girl who enunciated it REALLY WELL. Too Mo Row. Sounded really bizarre. :)

And of course there is the perennial 'Q-pon' vs 'ku-pon'. And is it 'ishU' or 'issU'?

A friend who grew up on 'lonG Iland' used to 'axe' me things. But he was a great guy so I let it go. :D

3. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    And the other thing with glove boxes/compartments is that most cars these days have good enough heaters not to need gloves (although I've driven at least my share of those where gloves are necessary!). It's one of those items whose name has been dragged kicking and screaming (not really) with us into the 21st century and losing its literal meaning.

I think the best one of these is "dashboard" - which once was the board that stopped the driver being covering in the mud that was dashed up by the horses' hooves.

"Car" itself is another one - find it in the middle of "horseless carriage".

4. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is a huge variation in terminology and pronunciation throughout the US. In college, we had a linguistics professor speak to our dorm and he had us sit by region of the country we were from, and demonstrated this very clearly.

For instance, is it a water fountain or a bubbler? Putt-putt or mini-golf? Soda or pop or coke (this one varies even within a state--eastern PA is soda, western PA is pop). Do you stand in line or on line? And in the NE, we apparently prononuce "tournament" different that everone else, and will pronounce "merry" "mary" and "marry" differently, while most people say them all sort of the same way. My boyfriend who is from TN says the name "jen" like "gin" and it always confuses me for second.

5. Marg

Marg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tms13\";p=\"51562)</div>
    I didn't know the history of dashboard. That's a good one.

So, Toby, do you call it a glove box, a glove compartment or something else?

And does anyone know why it's boot and bonnet in the UK, but trunk and hood in North America?

6. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(betshsu\";p=\"51578)</div>
    Results of a dialect survey conducted at Harvard:

When you stand outside with a long line of people waiting to get in somewhere, are you standing "in line" or "on line" (as in, "I stood ___ in the cold for two hours before they opened the doors")?
    a. on line (5.49%)
    b. in line (88.30%)
    c. both sound equally good (5.36%)
    d. neither (0.12%)
    e. other (0.73%)
    (10689 respondents)

LINK: http://hcs.harvard.edu/~golder/dialect/sta...cmaps/q_93.html

7. Totalshock

Totalshock New Member

Grew up in Toronto, and use the two interchangably.

Of course, with the Prius, you can split the difference. The top one is a glove box, and the bottom one is a glove compartment. Issue resolved. You're welcome.

(Now THAT is an undocumented feature of our beloved vehicle. Not only does it save the world environmentally, it can cause peace in tense wars over "glove box" or glove compartment."

:mrgreen:

8. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marg\";p=\"51621)</div>
    I don't know about boot and bonnet, but I imagine the 'trunk' came from the fact that early cars had the equivilent of a platform on the back of the car and you strapped your trunk ( ie the kind you pack stuff in for travelling :) ) on it. Eventually the space was included in the body of the car.

9. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000\";p=\"51526)</div>
    We're all great here on Lawn Guyland!!! :)
    Mary Lou

10. Smooth Operator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000\";p=\"51526)</div>
    That one is easy. One "cuts out" a coupon. In French, one would "coupe" the coupon. Hence we have "ku-pon".

The two that I don't get are:

Washington = WaRshington

and

didn't = di-nd't

In addition, I think Americans tend to use shorter words than Canadians.

Americans tend to sit on sofas while Canadians tend to sit on chesterfields.

Americans throw out the trash while Canadians throw out the garbage.

Driving around a parking lot, I think Americans have an In and an Out, while Canadians are looking for the Entrance or the Exit.

And if my driving on highways is any reflection it seems that hungry Canadians are looking for a "Restaurant" while Americans are looking for an "EAT".

Now I'm going to enjoy my toilette followed by ablution, put on my MacIntosh to protect myself from the rain, place my child in a perambulator, and enjoy my evening constitutional.

11. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mary Lou\";p=\"51653)</div>
    Then, Mary Lou, you may axe me a question any time you like :)