1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Special 12V battery for 2004 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Annomy, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Annomy

Annomy New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Having needed a jump two times in three weeks, I figured it was time for a new battery (6 years since the last one). Brought it to the dealership since it had a recall out anyway, and they'd quoted me $109 for the new one, which seemed reasonable enough. But then of course, when I actually spoke to the service guy, he said that was the wrong price, this is a special battery and it would be $369 installed (including one hour's labor!). Due to the rest of the bogosity they were spouting, I'd like to just do the recall and take it to my friend's beloved mechanic for the battery and have him check the other things they were mentioning. Question is, does the hybrid really require a special 12V battery? I'm not talking about the big batteries, just the one that starts the car. And is that difficult to install? He hasn't worked on hybrids before and is a little hesitant - I think a tribute to his honesty. Thanks much!

2. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can purchase an Odyssey PC-680 from Amazon and install it yourself for $125. Some people have installed an AGM motorcycle battery from Walmart with no problem. It's not anything magical.

I'm sure BritPrius will tear me a new donkey for this post but, hey, he's a wanker. :whistle:

3. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The Prius 12V battery is different from a typical car battery. But you should be able to have it replaced for $200 or less. It is not difficult to install and there are several Youtube videos that show how. Your mechanic might want to watch one or two to bring himself up to date on this procedure and advertise for this business. It looks like the Toyota dealers are leaving a lot of room for competition. Here is more info.
    12v Replacement Question | PriusChat

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Why you persist in recommending a battery that is half the capacity (18 amp/hr against 40 amp/hr) of the OEM battery and has the wrong layout of posts is beyond me. Yes I agree it will work but so will a 7 amp/hr alarm battery, but I certainly would not recommend it's use. The OEM battery is already considered by many to be small in capacity.

Name calling does nothing for your credibility, if you have some useful credible information all here are willing to listen including myself.

John (Britprius)

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  6. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Optima battery upgrade solved many lingering issues for me. I installed it myself without much bother. I would rate it as "simple" for any qualified mechanic.