1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speech prompt shut off and radio stay on questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by scoot, Dec 19, 2006.

1. scoot

scoot Member

I'm getting to know my 07 Prius and finding some things a bit confusing. I find it particularly confusing that the car comes with virtually no documentation on the speech recognition capabilities... just scattered references in various locations of the manuals... Anyway, I'm doing OK with it all but do have two fairly specific questions that I am hoping someone can answer:

1. When I press the voice recognition button, it prompts me by saying something like "after the beep enter a command". (can't remember what she actually says). Well I just want it to beep, I don't want to wait for the instruction about "wait for the beep". Is there a way to turn off the prompt? I have seen references in the forum to reseting the default to not prompt me, but I have no idea how to do that.

2. When I'm about to turn off the car (I have reached my destination) sometimes I'm listening to something I want to hear more of on the radio. Is there a way to power off the car without powering off the radio? _Sometimes_ it seems like if I press and HOLD the power button that it shuts down the car and leaves it in ACC mode (radio stays on), but other times it just shuts off everything. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scoot @ Dec 19 2006, 03:45 PM) [snapback]364360[/snapback]</div>
    When this happens to me, I just leave it in the Ready mode in Park. It's not like the ICE is running or anything.

3. JHSmith

JHSmith 2020 Avalon Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scoot @ Dec 19 2006, 06:45 PM) [snapback]364360[/snapback]</div>
    Even though I have an 07 Camry Hybrid (with NAV 5.1 DVD), these steps should get you going in the right direction:
    1. For Voice Recognition Guidance: Select Menu button, then Set-UUp. Now find Voice Recognition Guidance (on TCH, it's on the second page) and turn it OFF. NOTE: With the Voice recognition Guidance OFF, there will be dead time between pushing the button on the wheel and the "beep" as if the system was still speaking the irritating Voice Guidance.
    2. To keep radio on: DO NOT place gear shift in PARK before turning POWER off.If you turn POWER OFF while in DRIVE, the RETAINED ACCESSORY POWER circuitry kicks in and radio will keep playing for a few minutes. (Not sure how long the time span is.)
    As i said originally, these steps work on my Camry, so YMMV, but I believe they may be similiar.

I hope this helps.

4. scoot

scoot Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John Smith @ Dec 19 2006, 06:48 PM) [snapback]364405[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the reply -- a couple of comments
    1. The dead time will annoy me as much as the lady talking -- what I want is to immediatly hear the beep and speak the command. I suspect this can be done, particularly since the manual makes limited reference to pressing the button and hearing a beep. I'll try what you suggested and see if it works.

2. Your suggestion doesn't work with consistency. Assuming I have not pressed the "park" button and I just press and hold the power button, sometimes it leaves the car in ACC mode, sometimes it just shuts everything off. If I just press (and don't hold) the power button, it just shuts everything off.

Still hoping for more answers on these questions.....

thanks

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scoot @ Dec 21 2006, 01:39 PM) [snapback]365215[/snapback]</div>
    The speech recognition system functions reasonably well, but I'll bet you'll get sick of "sorry, this command is not available in this screen" or "pardon? when you're ready, please say a command after the beep" remarks from Jill after a little while.

My advice: prepare to be a teensy bit underwhelmed. The voice recognition will *not* make up for any shortcomings in the layout of the controls.

And, as far as the radio, welcome to the world of "the Prius engineers are smarter than you are."

You'll encounter more and more of this as time goes on. The car has lots of great features but also a few...ummmm...eccentricities when it comes to the radio and HVAC, and other things you'd ordinarily never think of...until you experience them for yourself.

6. scoot

scoot Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Dec 21 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]365306[/snapback]</div>
    ... so I don't get just a "beep" as an option when I press the voice button unless I am willing to give up all voice navigation, and I don't get to leave the car in ACC mode when stopping with any predictability... Is that the bottom line? Oh well. Seems like they thought of a lot of really clever things, left out a few obvious ones, and documented most of it fairly poorly. Still quite happy with the car.

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scoot @ Dec 21 2006, 06:38 PM) [snapback]365421[/snapback]</div>
    No, I don't think what you've written is correct.

You'll get ONLY the beep (like you, and I for that matter, want) when you press the little button on the steering wheel. That "disable voice guidance" setting which you've been instructed to turn off ONLY turns off Jill's prompt: "after the beep, please say a command." All the functions still work as usual.

Also, check out the list of voice commands found on this site; there are some options which aren't I don't think documented. My favorite: saying "warmer" to raise the temp by three degrees...or, "cooler" to lower it by three.

The one I REAALLLLY want: "turn of MFD." As it is, you have to press the button that says "turn off screen" to do that. It would be nice to never have to touch the screen if I don't want to.

Regarding ACC mode: I don't know what's up with this. Perhaps you're hitting the button twice, maybe in some combination with pressing the brake pedal? I do recall some issues about people holding the button down for a while and then the car wouldn't go to 'ready' but I don't know under which circumstances this happens.

Generally speaking:
    --if the brake pedal is NOT depressed
    one press of the power button=you can listen to the radio but not roll up or down the windows, etc.
    two presses of the power button=the electric functions of the car are pretty much all on, but the car is
    NOT in ready mode.
    --if the break pedal is depressed:
    one press of the power button=the car is "running" and you should hear two quick beeps, then the normal
    seat belt warning beeps.

8. scoot

scoot Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Dec 21 2006, 04:02 PM) [snapback]365436[/snapback]</div>
    So if I set "disable voice guidance" to off, it won't prompt me to enter a command but it still WILL tell me to "turn left in 3/4 mile" or whatever she says? That's counterintuitive to me -- "disable voice guidance" sounds like the voice guidance is going to be off, rather than the prompt for speech recognition... I'll try it tonight and see what happens.

The ACC mode -- Yeah, I know about what it is supposed to do to turn things on with respect to the brake pedal, etc and that all works. On the turning the car off and leaving the ACC on, I still get mixed results with sometimes the car staying in ACC mode when the power button is held and pressed, and sometimes it just shutting everything off. I'll try more, but I think there might be a glitch in the system. I say this because I managed to get it to do something that would be considered a safety hazard (one time only, haven't tried to duplicate it yet...). My spouse was driving and pulled into the driveway but I was listening to the story on the radio. He powered the car off and started to get out, but before he got out (his foot was off the brake) I pushed the power button to turn on ACC mode so I could hear the end of the story on the radio. So the car is in ACC mode, he gets out of the car WITH THE SMARTKEY and I sit there. After the story is done, I hit the power button again assuming it will turn everything off BUT IT DIDN'T -- it put the car into READY mode. This is while I'm in the passenger seat, no one is pressing the brake pedal, and there is no smartkey in the car. I think I found a bug in the system. I'll try and repeat this again. If it is repeatable, I suspect it will become a recall issue for Toyota since it effectively leaves the car in a mode where the passenger can cause the car to start moving with no driver in the car. (Imagine - child, lawsuit, etc)...

9. scoot

scoot Member

Hey, it worked. I got the stupid prompt that tells me to wait for the beep to stop. This was totally non-intuitive because you would think that turning off "voice guidance" would turn off the voice during a trip, rather than the stupid prompt. But whatever.

THANKS!!!!

10. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Dec 21 2006, 04:02 PM) [snapback]365436[/snapback]</div>
    Pinto Girl, have you tried the command Screen Off? On my 2005 that does the trick and the screen goes blank, unless she responds Showing Spa icons or something else weird. P O I Off will usually fix that problem.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius