1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speed Bump Impact, Alignment and Steering Assist

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by EnergyCar, Oct 3, 2023.

1. EnergyCar

EnergyCar New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I posted a thread in the main forum to discuss my issues with driving over a slightly troublesome speed hump. I must have attracted bad energy because I recently had a worse experience driving over a traditional speed bump (SB) located just outside of an apartment complex on my way to work. The horrible thing about these particular bumps is they are NOT clearly marked and there are NO visible signs posted on the road where the SBs were constructed. In fact, the bumps aren’t even painted yellow or white, they’re the same color as the asphalt on the road. I mean, really!? So, one day I was just on time for an appointment with 5 minutes to spare and I was likely driving at about 15mph on the road before just before SBs. I’m not very familiar with the area which is why I actually forgot they were there. Needless to say it was too late to reduce my speed to something less impactful. As I hit one, I heard what I thought was the weight of the car (frame of the car, axel or whatever) coming down hard on the SB. However, I recently learned that it is possible the sound was a result of the shocks - which is apparently very common in cases such as these or perhaps a combination of the shocks and the equipment I had in the trunk of my car. Anyway, I had a mechanic do the following inspection:
    • Suspension (damage / leaks / worn components)
    • Axle hub & bearings (damage / leaks / noise)
    • Drive / CV shaft (damage / leaks / boots)
    • Propeller / driveshaft (damage / leaks / U-joints)
    They said everything looked intact, no leaks, breaks or cracks, etc. so far as they could tell, everything was in tip top shape.

Prior to this all happening, I felt that the “steering assist” was hugging the left side of the lane too tight, although, I confused it for pulling to the left. So I had the car inspected by a Certified Toyota dealer and they determined that the alignment was off and the throttle was due for a cleaning. I had both jobs completed. After getting the work done the “steering assist” seemed to work better. However, after the incident with the SB the steer assist seems to hug the left side against. I have since called Toyota back and had a long discussion with their Foreman Director. He said that there is no warranty on their wheel alignment, however they would realign it if need be with no charge and then drive with me in the car so I can explain to them what’s happening with the “steering assist”. They said they could eventually calibrate the steering assistance but it’s a complicated process. They assured me that their techs are expertly qualified to get the job done properly.

So now I’m wondering if anyone in the is forum has had a similar experience with speed bumps, steering assist that needed to be calibrated properly? I guess, ultimately I want to know if I’m going about getting this issue resolved in the right way?

Thanks for reading!

2. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Oh yeah, unfortunately, I have had numerous encounters with speedbumps, potholes, curbs (and wildlife but that's another story). Some have been at speed and things like potholes you don't always see coming. The car sits low enough that some speedbumps, even going slow can hit the frame, not great. So far the car has not sustained any damage other than cosmetic. I normally wouldn't think hitting a large speedbump would cause damage at 15 mph. I've definitely have gone over speedbumps, potholes, hauling it down a dirt road going 50 mph in the middle of Nebraska (storm chasing, there was hail) and not noticed any significant changes. I honestly can't say I notice much if any change in how the car drives or performs in any way...

That being said it is always a wise choice to have your car inspected even if for peace of mind. Alignment can get out of whack from that sort of stuff but I do find it interesting that if effected the steering assist in your case.

One thing you can do to is have someone follow you and see how bad it is hugging the left side of the lane. Get photos/videos if possible (if they're being dismissive). I can't really say much about mine as I'm pretty sure yours being a 2021 is going to have the better tech than the 2018. All that mine does is try to keep you in the lane, more of a gentle nudge but not full steering assist.

Right now, I'm at 147,600 and the car tracks straight and does not pull to either side. I do notice that the tire wear on mine is a bit abnormal, kind of heavish wear on the very edge of the inside of the tires and appears that the front is causing the issue, but I also have close to 50,000 on these Toyo Nano Energy tires which isn't bad for these tires (original set I got maybe 30-35k, but also lived in mountains at the time, doing more long commutes now).

Sorry if my post wasn't helpful but hopefully it gives you some insight in my experience event hough they're kind of different but also kind of the same too.