1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

speed, not gasoline, addiction

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by hscook, Apr 30, 2006.

1. hscook

hscook New Member

Traded-in my 2003 Avalon (46,000 miles) for a silver prius (HF and BO packages) on march 30. I consider the Avalon to be the best car I've ever owned and driven. Motivation for the trade-in was pure and simple: to achieve greater fuel economy and to downsize. Also, to reduce the temptation to accelerate. The Avalon excels at quiet acceleration. The trade-off has been more than acceptable. Much better gas mileage, much more sensible driving. The Prius encourages this.Comfort and performance reduction acceptable.

In Central Texas where I live, the emphasis is on the big vehicles (SUVs and pick-ups) driven as fast and recklessly as possible. Priuses are definitely counter-cultural here. My Prius got the test of fire in an early April round trip to North Carolina (Hendersonville and Asheville) to visit family. Approximately 2800 mile trip. Drove to NC at 65 mph max with strict adherence to reduced speed zones. Was passed by every other vehicle on the road--cars and 18 wheelers-- but achieved avg. mpg of 47.5. Local travel in NC got better mileage--52.5 avg. I attribute this to the ups and downs, and to the many opportunities for coasting. Return trip at 70 mph max, again with strict adherence to reduced speed limits. Same experience re passing, and somewhat reduced mileage: 46.5 miles per gallon. However, there were stiff cross-winds all the way back to central Texas!

I recently read an e-article by B.I. Koerner in Wired entitled "Rise of the Green Machine" where he describes a "eureka moment" -- referring to his discovery of a "sweet spot" on the Prius accelerator: "When the car hits 40 mph, I coast for a few seconds, letting the gas engine go idle, then use the electricity to maintain my speed by depressing the pedal ever so slightly. My mileage starts to climb..."

I tried this out yesterday on 40 mile round-trip between by home town (San Marcos) and New Braunfels on a county road that parallels I-35. Result was avg. of 62 mpg. However, I also capped speed at 50 mph. The same trip in my Avalon regulary resulted in excess speed (even though I could have employed cruise control).

Moral of above: speed is the key factor in reduction of gas consumption (or increasing avg. mpg). We are a nation of speed addicts, even though we all know that speed kills. Many people don't seem to realize that speed also increases fuel consumption. If our politiciams were really serious about addressing the market crisis re gasoline, they would institute a mandatory, nation-wide speed limit of 60 mph--with strict enforcement. We would all get a double bonus: less fuel consumption/lower gas prices and fewer highway fatalities. A win-win policy.

The Prius is indeed a wonderful "Green Machine" that promotes GREEN THINKING (AND ACTION)! The Avalon is a wonderful machine that promotes bad driving habits!

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Lowering the speed-limit isn't necessary. Simply teaching people to respect it would do wonders for saving gas. The fact that so many feel comfortable exceeding the limit has lead to all kinds of problems. So slowing down back to them would be more than just a MPG gain.