1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speed sensor defeat install in car without nav/phone

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by SLO Cat Wrangler, Mar 22, 2009.

1. SLO Cat Wrangler

SLO Cat Wrangler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So here is another posting with info about disabling the speed sensor wire going to the MFD so that it can be used while in motion.

For most of the posts, people are doing this becuase they want to use their navigation screens or dial from the screen when the car is in motion. I don't have these options, however after installing my VAIS SL2i-UP to integrate our Ipod it became clear that once the car started moving the screen could no be used to change the music or see which songs were coming up next.

My wife mostly drives the car and like the little green bars that record the MPG over time. I like to be able to change the music and see what is coming up next when I drive. Thus the solution was to put in a switch and I am proud to say that it looks good to me and works great.

I am pretty electrically illiterate, and I have 1 question that I hope someone can answer for me.

The install consists of a switch bought at Autozone, some connectors, and some ethernet wire (4 twisted pairs 24g solid copper wire).

I took apart the dash from the driver's side to the passengar's to be able to run a wire from the speed wire to a blank spot on the left of the stearing wheel.

The blank was removed from the dashboard and cut to allow the switch to mount into it. Friction is holding the switch in.

a set of twisted pair was stripped and placed into the wire connectors to connect to the switch. NOTE: There are 3 terminals on the switch. Only 2 are for the actual switch and the 3rd is for the switch's LED.

The Cat-5 wire is run to where the speed wire will be cut. Bullet connectors are placed incase this needed to be removed and returned to OEM (kind of).

Everything was placed back together and the switch allows the drive to cut the speed signal to the MFD.

So the one thing that I would like to do is have the switch's LED come one. Can I just run the 3rd terminal to the car's chassis? The instructions say to chassis ground. Will this screw up the speed defeat?

Thanks.

Steve Dennis

P.S. The second to last picture should be after the pict with the steering wheel showing the wire route.

Attached Files: