1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speed Sensor Defeat Update

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by efusco, Jan 27, 2004.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally got up the gumption to start pulling stuff apart and cutting wires and got the speed sensor defeat switch installed. Wasn't all that hard with the exception of working with a small short wire in a very tight space and figuring out how to get the center console out. Still, I completed the job in about 1-1/2 hours total time (my kids were napping and the first one got up just as I was picking up the tools to put them away.

So, once they were both up I loaded the car up for a test run to be sure everything worked.

I first tested the Bluetooth phone...b/c that's the main reason I wanted the switch in the first place since I have little need for the NAV itself. It didn't work. Flicked the switch multiple times, tried multiple screens and still I couldn't get the Phone Book or Direct dial to work. At that point I started sniffing for smoke and hoping that the brakes still worked since I was SURE I'd cut the wrong wire and now had a defeat for the entire Hybrid ECU or something!!!

The rational side of my head took over again and I switched to MAP---flicking the switch, sure enough, seemed to freeze the car icon on the map screen for about 30 sec. then it jumped to position when the GPS detected again. Seemed something was working. I switched then to the NAV page and sure enough, all direct entry functions were available just as if I was stopped!

So, I wrote to Wayne Brown, the first to do this mod. Turns out he doesn't have a Bluetooth phone and never tested that feature! It seems that a second switch or maybe another wire will need to be defeated to make the phone work. If I find that I think I'll just cut the wire permanently, can't think of any reason I'd ever need it to have those features disabled.

Anyway, I wanted to post this for the archives so that others considering doing the mod will know that it won't work for the Bluetooth. Wayne's promised to check the wiring diagrams and get back to me if he can figure out a defeat for the Bluetooth.

2. zilch321

zilch321 New Member

I'm still learning about the Prius as my fiancee really needs a new car.

Anywa, to the point. You mention you wanted this kill switch for the blue tooth. Are you saying that you can not get to the phonebook with the car moving? Can you cycle thru the phone book via the many buttons I see on the searning wheel? I like the bluetooth idea very much, but if you can't make a call without without talking to the car, I may skip this feature set all together.

I guess this is more of a function question, but i'm sure you can help.

Thanks much,

--z

3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are able to program 17 preset buttons that are "live" while the car is in motion. But if you want to dial a number not in those presets or use another number in the phone book you have to stop the car. Usually you can accomplish this at a stop light.

But, as you can infer from the fact that I'm trying to defeat it, I would like to be able to override the safety feature so that I, or my passenger, could dial a number from the screen or from the phone list while in motion. One thing, you can still dial the number directly from the phone and then carry on your conversation via the bluetooth. But to me that's even less safe than using the touch screen.

4. smlasers

smlasers New Member

I would be very interested in the override for the bluetooth as well...I was going to do the NAV mod, but am glad to wait until can do both with a DPDT switch...

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no idea what a DPDT switch is, but I don't think a switch is likely to be necessary at all for the BT. When would you NOT want to be able to use the BT when in motion. Unless there is something else that's disrupted by cutting the speed wire to the BT I think I'll just cut mine and cap the ends of the wire.

Still, you might wanna wait so you only have to take the center console apart once (assuming that's where the BT wire is too--I'm not at all sure about that).

I got another e-mail from Wayne, sounds like he's going to dig up the wiring diagrams tonight, test the wire he thinks he remembers may be the one for the BT and e-mail me back. I will, of course, share that with the group as soon as I know and implement successfully myself.

6. fredr500

fredr500 Junior Member

Any updates on this? I'm holding off the mod to do them both at once (assuming someone can figure it out).

Fred

7. Mat

Mat New Member

Me too, I've been waiting with my timer switch and wire ready, waiting to disable the speed sensor but hoping to do any such mods in one fell swoop.

Does anyone have any update on the Bluetooth re-enable while driving?

8. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Regarding the Bluetooth re-enable while driving, I have a few observations.

With the T616, if for any reason the initial attempt to connect fails after starting the car, I find that I can simply cycle power to the phone, or turn the phone's Bluetooth back on if I had forgotten to do this already, and the car detects the link without having to do anything with the MFD settings.

Once the phone has successfully connected, it's not possible from the T616 (AFAIK) to disable the connection. The only work-around for this which I've used, which also works for reconnecting, is to have a second BT phone programmed into the car's memory. If you have two phones programmed, when the car is not moving you can go into the MFD Phone Settings and use the Select Phone option to switch your selection back and forth which forces the software to break the link and/or re-establish it. Unfortunately, you can't do this while driving, but at least you don't have to cycle power to the car.

9. Mat

Mat New Member

Sorry, I was unclear-

We're trying to figure out a way to use the phone screen options while you are driving, like they tricked the NAV system into allowing input while driving.

I haven't had any trouble with BT disconnects or losing the connection with my Nokia 3650.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No updates guys.

Wayne has told me he hasn't forgotten, but he's not very motivated to find a fix since he doesn't have any bluetooth services in his area.

11. NorthStar

NorthStar Junior Member

There is a wire on schematics for the parking brake going into the Multi-Display - slot #16(connector M13). I've read on a Lexus site that mods for some of those cars require a similar defeat for the parking brake. Might that be the case for the Bluetooth? You'd have to pull apart the dash to get at this red wire.

Mark

12. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Phonebook and number dialing while moving

Here's how to defeat the speed sensor's lockout of certain Bluetooth phone features while moving:

- Remove dash panels to gain access to the MultiDisplay.
    - Cut the violet wire going to pin 25 of connector M13 on the top of the Multidisplay. This wire is one slot away from the end (pin 26) and is all alone in a group of 6 or 7 unused slots.
    [​IMG]
    - Route 2 wires to a switch you or your passenger can reach. Right now I'm using a magnetic alarm switch behind the bottom center plastic panel under the radio (+ a magnet on the cabin side of the plastic to control it).
    - Connect the new wires to each side of the cut wire.
    - Solder and tape up the splices.
    - Re-assemble dash.

With the switch closed, the speed sensor output is delivered to the MultiDisplay as normal. You will not be able to access the Phone Book nor dial numbers on the touchscreen while driving.

With the switch open, the MultiDisplay does not receive speed sensor pulses and all the phone features are available at all times. The only side effect I've seen so far is that in the info display animation, the tires don't spin. The distance display seems to advance and the mileage values and power flow arrows seem normal.

Finally I can finish checking voicemail when the light turns green without fumbling for the phone!

Do this at your own risk! Drive safely!

doctorman and Dutch like this.
  13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Way to go Brosnan!!!
    :multi: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :multi:
    I'd identified that wire on a w:clap: iring diagram as a good possible choice to divide to defeat the Bluetooth, but didn't have the knowledge/guts to try to find it and cut it.

If you don't mind, could you either e-mail me or post here how to get access the the MFD, if you can do that I'll do another full photo write up of the proceedure.

I may just divide the wire if the only side effect is the wheels not turning on the Energy screen.

Again, great work and thank you thank you thank you!!!

14. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Brosnan, you might as well be Pierce Brosnan on this board, because you're the man! Good job!

Throw this baby into the Knowledge Base as soon as we get a solid writeup on it, Evan or Brosnan.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Brosnan,
    A quick followup, did you try to trace that wire anywhere else that it might be easier to access or to splice a switch into? The back of the MDF doesn't seem to be the ideal place.

In my case, ideally, I'd like to add another switch that matches the one for the NAV and put it immediately next to it, or to actually splice this into the same switch for the NAV defeat so accessing any of those features on the MFD would be one easy switch to trip.

Man, I don't know when I have time to do this, but it'll happen in the next week for sure. Please, someone let me know the best way to pull off the dash pieces to access that area.

16. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    dash removal for phone speed sensor defeat

The PriusXM installation video ($29 at https://secure.priusxm.com/order.html) is very useful for anyone needing to open up the dashboard to get to the MultiDisplay or radio. When I get some time I'll write up a good description here.

The really short no-photo version is that you:
    -snap out the far left A/C panel (by pulling forward)
    -open the glove compartment top and bottom
    -snap out the A/C panel just to the right of the radio
    -snap out the center floor cover under the radio
    -remove the screw next to the Keyless Entry Defeat switch
    -snap out the panel containing that screw
    -unscrew the screw on the left which now uncovered
    -snap out the panel containing the start button
    -snap out the A/C panel just to the left of the radio
    -with a 10mm ratchet wrench, remove the 2 bolts holding the MultiDisplay
    -snap the MultiDisplay forward - but don't let it jump too far

The wire in question disappears into a cable bundle heading
    deep into the dash. Although it may be accessible elsewhere,
    that was not immediately obvious.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again Brosnan. I think I can do that with the step-by-step instructions you listed. I'll probably hunt around a little for that bundle.

I think Coastal Dave's method of installing the XM system doesn't involve removing the entire dash, he's figured out that you can just reach behind there to do it, but it seems most prudent to visually ID the place the plug goes and the exact wire in this case.

18. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Some additional notes on this mod:

1) Besides lack of animated rotating tires, you also lose the history
    aspect of the MPG bar graph. In other words, the 5 minute rolling
    MPG graph has no green bars on it after cutting the speed signal to
    the MultiDisplay. Interesting, the regeneration car icons still show
    up and slide to the left over time. The bars will be drawn if
    the speed signal is connected at certain times. You don't need
    a continuous connection. I'll try to learn more about that. Perhaps
    some kind of timer circuit can be used to get both the MPG bargraph
    history and full phone features.

2) If you do this mod, then find the car won't start, don't panic.
    You've probably just bumped the keyless entry defeat button
    under the steering wheel. Press that button again to bring the
    car to life.

3) The maintenance screen and calendar (and map features) are
    not affected by this mod - only the phone features are restored.

Interesting comment about not opening the dashboard. Perhaps a small
    hand could get to the M13 connector by simply snapping off the
    A/C cover just to the right of the radio. There is a bit of slack
    in the cable.

19. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    efusco,

Before you install a second switch you might want to check to see if the style of switch you already have comes in a DPDT variety (this came up in the January posts). DPDT (double pole double throw) looks the same, but is actually two separate switches connected to a single button or lever. There is also a DPST (double pole single throw) which is the same except both switches are either open or closed at the same time. There isn't a significant price difference between them, and a DPDT switch can be wired so that one switch is open, while the other one is closed.

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks VP,
    Good stuff to know. Despite the mods and write-ups I've done I don't have much solid knowledge of this stuff. I thind the DPST would be fine since I can only look at one screen at at time and there's no down side to defeating both speed sensors at once, that I can think of.