1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speedo Calibration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ibis315, Jan 5, 2006.

1. ibis315

ibis315 New Member

I was wondering if the speedometer can be calibrated either with hidden menu or with scan tool at the dealer. Old cars in the past with analog gauges had fixed ratio gear from the wheel connected to the speedo, so to recalibrating the speedo after changing the wheel size was a pain. I'm asking this since the Prius is packed with software for controlling most things, I was wondering if I can calibrate the speedo if I change my wheels to something other than 185/65/15. Anyone looked into this or want to poke around?

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I don't think so. The Nav system can be calibrated (Menu | Setup | Calibration ) but I don't know whether this affects the MPG display.

3. Denny_A

Denny_A New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Also don't think so, but...if you have a GPS with speed readout, the change can be fairly closely estimated.

I have a PDA style portable GPS. My 2000 Toyo 4Rnr was about 2mph fast at 60 mph indicated. So it was about 3.3% off on the high side. My '05 PRI is 1 mph fast (same GPS) at 60 mph. So the PRI is a bit less than 2% high. My '88 Honda accord was indicated faster by 4%. When I changed to larger tires the readout was right on the money (as measured on a 20 mile calibrated course on a local highway). So, for the '88 Accord, a 1040 mile trip, by odometer, was only 1000 miles actual.

If a GPS is used, and as accurate a solution (i.e., 3D) as possible is received by the unit, it should give a fairly accurate estimate of speedo error.

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member