1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speedometer and mpg reading is off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by saechaka, Apr 16, 2006.

1. saechaka

saechaka Member

Since I got my nav system, i've noticed that my speedometer seemed to be reading 2mph faster than what my nav was stating. so, i used the 5 mile speedometer checkpoints to see if my miles were calculated correctly and noticed that the first mile i was off by about 25ft(as in, i reached 1 mile on my car and wasn't at the 1 mile checkpoint yet) and the second mile was about double that and so on. i'm currently running stock spec. tires. now i'm just wondering what are the ramification of this info. did toyota do this purposefully to inflate mpg claims? any thoughts

2. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(saechaka @ Apr 16 2006, 05:09 PM) [snapback]240578[/snapback]</div>
    25 feet in one mile is less than 1/2%. As your tires wear, it will probably come into spec and then go wrong the other way. Given the diameter variations between tires of the same size but different brands and types, this is way within what you would expect to see. If you dig into tire specifications, you can find a rotations-per-mile spec and see how it changes from brand to brand. VW used to consider a speedometer in spec for 5 mph wrong. If you are going to be out of spec, slightly high is better than slightly low around speed trap towns. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

BTW, my 2006 with 1500 miles on it read out less than 1/2 mph difference against a separate WAAS enabled GPS on a straight flat road.

- Tom

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    toyota cars read about 3 mph fast.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just did a test of this the other day, in fact. Plotted a route
    of exactly 40 miles on the Garmin "mapsource" package on the laptop,
    and then went and drove it. [I didn't try to set up the route *on*
    the GPS, I just took note of its length as calculated in the roads
    database.] After the run, the GPS unit itself said 40.0 miles, and
    by going a little farther and noting when the tenths kicked I
    extrapolated to 40.04 miles. By the same extrapolation procedure,
    the car had tallied up 39.62 miles. About a 1% difference, with
    the car logging slightly less mileage.
    What's interesting is that the speedo reads about 1/2 mph *above*
    the GPS calculated speed, which is an interesting disparity.
    This is with stock integrities at 44/42 or thereabouts. Now, if you
    want your car *more* accurate, pump those suckers up! Soft tires
    definitely spin a little faster -- I've already proven that with the
    differential-speed analysis prototyping I've been doing.
    The reason for correlating the GPS run against the mapping database
    is that I could easily see changes in the GPS accuracy radius as
    being interpreted as slight wanders off-course, which would make the
    path longer. But this doesn't seem to have happened, at least not
    with any appreciable impact. Sometimes as the thing is acquiring
    birds, it does a sudden jump of several feet from its last known
    position, leading to a logged "maximum speed" of like 175 MPH. Hey,
    a little more hardware and I could have a transporter!
    Next opportunity to do a long highway run with mile-markers, I will
    do that correlation too. From what I hear the highway markers are
    supposed to be *dead*-accurate. Anyone know how those are actually
    measured out?
    _H*

5. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Apr 16 2006, 08:44 PM) [snapback]240636[/snapback]</div>
    It did not used to be true that they were dead accurate. Most states had stretches of measured miles to check your speedometer against - 5 to 10 miles marked at 1 mile increments was common. At least until the mid 1970's there used to be one of these measured areas between Detroit and Lansing on I-96. These markers had their own posts. Generally I have found the interstate mile posts to be pretty good when compared against a speedometer checked against a measured mile stretch, but I have seen some that were noticably off. I think the posts with reflectors are placed at regular intervals and the mile signs are added later. Lately with GPS I haven't bothered to check for quite a few years. Being an engineer and a nerd, I used to pay attention to those sorts of things on multi thousand mile drives - not much else to do in the midwest cornfields.

- Tom

6. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    A local neighborhood has a radar system that reports your speed on the main road. My speedo seems to be exactly right, or at least it agrees with the radar unit.

7. saechaka

saechaka Member

thx for all the info guys. i was a bit worried. i'll see if inflating the tires can help.

8. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(saechaka @ Apr 16 2006, 05:09 PM) [snapback]240578[/snapback]</div>
    AFAIK, speedometers on virtually ALL cars (not just toyota) are calibrated as much as 3% HIGHER than actual speed. This is by design.

The simple reason is legality, such as speed traps and lawsuits. Having this margin reduces the possibility of someone 'accidentally' speeding.;)

Also, nobody will sue Toyota after an accident because they were travelling SLOWER than they thought...

Kevin

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hmmmmmm.

10. Doutt It

Doutt It New Member

There is a calibrate feature within the Nav. setup I believe that is supposed to calibrate the tires to the reading.

11. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have the exact same problem! Dash is 1-2 mph faster than the NAV and faster than the radar signs. Odometer is okay (I think) I compared the odometer against the NAV's distance to destination feature and they match.

What gives?

Nate

12. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doutt It @ Apr 17 2006, 02:07 PM) [snapback]241075[/snapback]</div>
    I believe this is just so the nav can measure speed and distance. It doesn't affect the speedometer and odometer---otherwise every car would have it, and I think non-nav cars don't.

13. Doutt It

Doutt It New Member

Quite possible. I was told to use it when changing tires sizes so the car would read the correct MPH. Worked for me.

14. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(saechaka @ Apr 16 2006, 02:09 PM) [snapback]240578[/snapback]</div>
    At that rate, after actually traveling 100,000 miles, you can sell your Prius as a newer car with only 99,525 miles. That should be worth a buck or two of extra pocket change . . . and the higher MPG you can quote should be worth another buck or two.

The mileage/MPG differential will have earned you enough extra on the sale to treat yourself to a mocha at your favorite coffee shop. Think of it as a departing gift from your Prius. :lol:

15. saechaka

saechaka Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Apr 18 2006, 01:12 AM) [snapback]241375[/snapback]</div>

actually i went out and did my 5 mile speedometer checkpoint on the freeway and noticed that i'm off by 1/10 of a mile for every 5 miles. so i figure at 100k miles my odometer will read off by 2000 miles. i might jump up a size when i get new tires so the reading will more accurate.

16. jrct9454

jrct9454 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(saechaka @ Apr 16 2006, 02:09 PM) [snapback]240578[/snapback]</div>

Oh, please....

I've owned 54 cars in 45 years. NONE of them has had a dead-on speedo reading. The most dramatic was a '96 Acura RL, which was off a full 7%. Anything under 3% is great.

To suggest some kind of conspiracy is laughable. Try to find any mass-market car with a dead-on speedometer. Our '06 appears to be reading about 1 mph fast at 60, which is as close as any car we've owned in the past 20 years. Our '02 MB C240 was about 2 mph off at the same speed. And as noted above, even tires with nominally the same size will affect this - we've switched ours from the awful Goodyear [Badyear] Integrities to Costco Michelins - same size, but the Michelins are slightly larger in diameter [more tread, for starters], and so they bring the speedometer as close to spot-on as it is ever going to get. As they wear, it will gradually get faster again.

These are approximations; same with fuel gauge readings AND GPS locations....the errors are small, but unavoidable with the current technology.

17. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(saechaka @ Apr 27 2006, 02:53 AM) [snapback]245996[/snapback]</div>
    If you were using the regular freeway mile posts as opposed to a measured speedometer check area, you are not comparing against anything accurate. Over a few hundred miles they average out to "not too bad", but over 5 miles it is a crap shoot. I've seen some spots along the PA Turnpike that were really off.

- Tom

18. Wheelin1

Wheelin1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  19. bluesman2007

bluesman2007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    today for no apparent reason my speedometer was showing a really high speed although I was keeping pace with traffic in a 40mph zone, my speedometer read almost 70....really wierd...it seemed to happen shortly after I went through a car wash...hmmm...any ideas?? I'll definitely have the dealer check it out since I have less than 4K on it...