1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speedometer calibration ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dozzer, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Dozzer

Dozzer Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi all,

Is it possible to adjust the speedo ?

Mine reads 4mph faster than actual (GPS measured) speed.

So 30mph indicated is only 26mph actual...
    The reason I ask is the EV mode drops out at 24mph actual (28 indicated)

Getting an arccurate speed should increase electric motor under normal conditions right ?

I have a UK spec T4 with 16inch wheels and OEM tyres.
    Bridgestone Turanza ER30 - 195/55 R16

2. Dozzer

Dozzer Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wth.. delete duplicates please..

3. tundrwd

tundrwd Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Consumer GPS systems are not noted for accuracy, and are not to be used to measure speed. There are some specialty GPS tracking devices that are more accurate, and may be used.

There was an article somewhere recently about some kid who was cited for speeding, parents took it to court to fight it (they had installed one of those "minder" GPS systems in the car). Court allowed that it was accurate (as it's one of the few special ones), but the article emphasized that the consumer grade GPS systems are not accurate. At least, not accurate enough.

Valiant V likes this.
  4. Dozzer

Dozzer Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well it's more accurate than my speedo that's for sure!..
    I had a friends GPS unit (different make and chipset) and this confirms the speed inaccuracy.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Many European cars are required by law to fudge the displayed speed. I recall that the number is some place around 10%. I'm not sure if this is the case with the UK model, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Consumer GPS units do okay with speed as an average, but the instantaneous speed jumps all over. It will be fast for one sample period, slow for the next. There is a lot of jitter. Twisting roads and hills will also upset the GPS speed. The units measure point to point straight line distance, so a curving path will be ignored between samples.

Tom

Valiant V likes this.
  6. [H]ackerK

[H]ackerK Geek

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well in my case (not sure if this is Normal) Often when I slow the car to stop. It will show 6..5..4..3..(my car is COMPLETELY STOPPED at this point) then 2..1..0. Looks like the display is about 1-2 second behind.

Added: note, that's in KM/H

7. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You must be driving so fast that your speed can't catch up with you. :D

Seriously, that's pretty weird. There is a bit of a delay in the speed calculation, but it shouldn't be that long. Sounds like something is bad in that department.

Tom

8. Dozzer

Dozzer Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ok... any way to calibrate the speed back to a real world setting and avoiding the "fudge" required by the manufacturer ?

My old Fiat Punto has an accurate (near as damnit) speedo..

I know in for vehicles sold in Germany, manufacturers are required to display the speed +7%.

9. Fraser

Fraser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Using two possibly inaccurate GPS units is not the answer to proving a speedometer is wrong. Try finding (if they still exist) a section on Interstates that have a 5- or 10-mile speedometer test. Start at marker 1, try to drive at a consistent speed through the section, time your run and figure the average speed. Your state's transportation department may be able to locate one for you.

Alternatively, if your community's police sets up speed radar units that flash your speed as you pass by, run through them a few times at different speeds. There's no guarantee the police units are dead-on accurate, but it's a good test source.

I've found our speedometer is within a mile or so of the police units where we live, and the variation could be due to the difference between a whole number and fractions on either side.

Valiant V likes this.
  10. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You don't need a reference to tell that the speed is off at zero. All he has to do is look out of the window and see that the car is not moving, then look at the speedo display and see that it shows 6. This is a pretty good indication that something is fishy.

Tom

11. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Specifically, that regulation says the displayed speed has to be between the actual speed and 10% of the actual speed plus 4 km/h.

So at an actual speed of 60 km/h, the displayed speed has to be 60 to 70 km/h. Although it's allowed to exactly display the true speed, because of manufacturing tolerances the car maker can't guarantee that it won't go below the actual speed, and that's not allowed. So they add a fudge factor.

13. smithBYU85

smithBYU85 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My speedometer is actually 2 mph faster than my speed. I've checked it against every police speed radar (the ones that show you your speed), and I've been 2-3 mph over their speed. And that's in different towns/states, same results.

14. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Mine reads one mph faster than the speed on the radar signs. That's with my Micheline MXV4+ Energy tires, which have slightly larger circumference than the OEM tires.

Tom

15. [H]ackerK

[H]ackerK Geek

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So none of you have that problem? I thought it is kinda normal... Humm. maybe I should go back to dealership have it check.

BTW I am not driving fast.... often happens when slowing down at stop signs/red lights/traffic.

16. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep,that happens to me also but i use my Prius as a taxi and when you drive 350km-400km a night a little glitch like that doesn't bother me one bit,it's big bangs and rattles that i'd worry about.
    In relation to Dozzer's original question,i've noticed that [using the signs in different areas that flash your speed]if the sign flashes 60kph my speedo shows 56kph,i just hope the hand held speed guns the police[Garda]here in Ireland use are calibrated in the same manner....or!! :eek:

17. shrevemedia

shrevemedia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do any questions ever get answered on this PriusChat Forum? The original question was, "Is it possible to adjust the spedometer?" All I see are others complaining about their speedometers also not being correct, others saying that the speedometer is required to be inaccurate, others claiming that they can't be inaccurate by law, others claiming the Earth will be destroyed if you adjust your speedometer (my exaggeration). Can anyone just answer the question, "Can the speedometer be adjusted by some simple means, like press this button 8 times, while standing on your head in the rain, and it will put you into a super secret calibration mode, where you can change the calibration factor number, so that your speedometer reads whatever the hell you want it to read, so that you, personally are happy with it, regardless of what anyone else THINKS your speedometer should read?"

18. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Please have patience, it has only been 5 years. Someone is working on an answer.

Valiant V likes this.
  19. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ANSWER: No adjustment, factory set. And the question was answered in post #11 five (5) years ago. Did you not read the entire string? If not, look at post #11 above.

Valiant V and kenoarto like this.
  20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The speedo cannot be reset simply, but changing the tyre size to 205/55/16 from the OEM size of 195/55/16 reduces the error by about 50%.
    This has other advantages as there is a larger choice of tyres at this size, the RR is lower, and they are at leased 25% cheaper.
    I have the UK Prius Tspirit and that drops out of EV at an indicated 31 mph. My speedo indicates 1 mph faster than roadside radar speed indicators at 30 mph with the 205/55/16's.

John (Britprius)

kenoarto likes this.