1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speedometer dead!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bgbc, Aug 8, 2007.

1. bgbc

bgbc New Member

Hey folks,

Anyone had their speedometer die whenever they turn their headlights on? It works just fine during the day but at night the display turns to black when I flick on the headlights -- not so great when you're trying to actually drive the car and want to know how fast you're going.

I was convinced I'd accidentally switched something around in the display panel when I changed it to day mode recently but now I'm not so sure. I had some bodywork last week done after I dinged the car so maybe something got unplugged???

Any tips -- thanks!

2. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgbc @ Aug 8 2007, 02:06 AM) [snapback]492269[/snapback]</div>
    Check to make sure the panel dimmer is not turned down (left of steering wheel, bottom dash panel).

- Tom

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, I'm with Tom.
    Check the rheostat. It might be rolled all the way down. I could have happened when wiping the dash.

The Rheostat control is only activated when the headlights are turned on.

But keep in mind that when rolled all the way up, there is no dimming when the headlights are turned on. You'll know when you reach that point because there's a tactile "click" at that point.

Let us know if that took care of it.

4. bgbc

bgbc New Member

That did the trick. Thanks, guys!