1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speedometer display has died....

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by cjwenger07, Feb 1, 2011.

1. cjwenger07

cjwenger07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I took the Prius on a ski trip and halfway to our destination the speedometer display went blank and has not yet come back to life. It was fairly cold outside (-5 F) and I have seen other people blame the cold weather for a Generation II Prius - however, I was hoping to see if anyone had any ideas on what the problem is and how I can solve it as not knowing speed or gas tank level is no fun.

Thank you!

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Uhh, assuming there's nothing blocking the speedo, I'd take it to the dealer. No point in wasting money if you're under warranty.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Stupid question but are you sure you didnt knock the backlight knob to low? It turns off the whole display too.

We had a high of -20C (~ -3F) and it was about -25C (~ -10F) on the drive home earlier tonight. My display did ok, so the cold alone isn't the problem. Perhaps the cold + bad solder joint + driving vibration could snap a connection?

1 person likes this.
  4. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like at some point when Gen III's go out of warranty, I'll be repairing these too!

5. unkprius

unkprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unk takes out his extended warranty and gives it a hug.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My money's on an i-d-10-t error, not a hardware problem.

7. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A surprising amount of people have admitted this! Many found a receipt or other small paper sitting up in the convenient "tray" up at the far end of the dash, which was causing the display to go out in certain places.

Please triple-check this area before crying "broken"! The easiest way is to look from outside the car straight down. If there is *anything* on the dash, remove it, no matter how benign you might think it is!

8. Bica2go

Bica2go New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not necessarily. This happened to me before Columbus Day, with moderate temps (50 deg+) on a 3hr ride to VT. I drove back to the dealership and the service rep went to my car to check it out, probably thinking the old blonde broad had missed the obvious. Wrong - the board was bad and they replaced it under warranty. Other folks have reported this same problem with half of the display going out.

9. docfeagin

docfeagin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My Prius did the same thing but cold was not a factor. Now at dealer having display replaced.

10. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, apparently Toyota/Yazaki (the makers of the display), haven't learned much from their experience on the Gen II. I suspect this will be an ongoing problem, and I am offering repairs/component upgrades for Gen III owners that find themselves without a warranty option.

On the Gen II, I've identified several design weaknesses that can be upgraded to prevent the problem from recurring. Sounds like this will be needed on the Gen III as well.

11. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    have a gen 2 2004, with no speed display, no snowflake and no instant mileage calculation...happened all at once and it was -3 degrees F...so if pEEF has a solution/upgrade i would be interested...

12. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can repair this for you, and fix the design deficiency. See [this] post for info.

1 person likes this.
  13. hikingslo

hikingslo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My right side went out 2 weeks after i bought my new 2011. Toyota will replace it under the warranty. I get my new display tomorrow.

14. durant7

durant7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mine just went as well. Gen 3, III. Seems like I am in good company. However, what I have not seen here is the discussion about tearing the dash apart. IMO, dashes never go together as rattle free as from the factory.

The last event....check engine light....new charcaol filter needed at gas fill area....they took a week to do it and when I got it back large body parts were in the trunk. When I inquired..."ops, our bad...bring it back and we'll finish the job"....what else did they not put back?

Never had these issues with my Honda!

Sigh.

15. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You would not believe what's involved in removing the dash plate to get to the cluster. I have the manual.

16. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had almost all of my interior panels off quite a few times, and I have no new rattles, and everything looks as it did. It's really about the skill of the person doing the work. Sounds like you had a typical dealer experience. I have yet to be impressed by any dealer tech I've ever met!

Luckily Toyota is excellent at designing the car so it can be assembled easily and without problems, so as long as they actually put all the parts back in, it's likely they will be in correctly.

17. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can have the cluster out in a Gen II in under 10 minutes, and I'm not that fast. I've watched Carolyn at Luscious Garage have it fully apart in under 5 minutes! According to TIS, it's not much different on the Gen III. [Here] are the instructions for a Gen II if you want to see what's entailed.

18. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for posting that. Gen 3 is a bit different. For one, the cluster is way back near the defroster vents. Some of the "garnish" panels are different too. If you can get the top plate off in 10 minutes, you are good!

19. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've taken the dash apart in my RX350 and also a GX470 (to install the Vaistech SoundlinQ iPod integration system). Not that difficult but I had to be careful not to break the clips because some of the molded wood panels can cost $1,000 each.

20. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The clusters (combination meter) in the Gen II is also in the very front by the defroster vents. There is little difference between the generations. Now if you mean the MFD, that is indeed different.