1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

speedometer, etc.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by elcorazon, Oct 24, 2007.

1. elcorazon

elcorazon New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    and can it be changed. When I drive as it gets a bit darker or is cloudy out and decide to turn on the lights, I can't even read my speed, fuel gauge, etc. because it's too dim. I have to turn off my lights to see them. Seems kinda dumb to me. Is there a way to fix that to make my screen brighter?

2. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elcorazon @ Oct 24 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]529816[/snapback]</div>
    Yep.

A little dial on the dash on the left side of the steering wheel. Dial it "up" for brighter. Then when it gets real dark out and you start to see some distracting reflection of the speedometer off the windshield you can dial it "down" for dimmer. Just choose the brightness you prefer.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Turn the dimmer control on the dash near your left knee all the way (can't recall which direction right off). It will adjust the dash lights to the same brightness level as if your headlights are off.

4. elcorazon

elcorazon New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    thanks. I figured there must be an easy fix for this.

One more thing: When I first started driving and had the old fashioned fuel gauge with the needle, I used to always have a full tank for a really long time, then suddenly it would be down to a 1/4 tank within a relatively short time. Over the years, cars seem to have improved on this oddity and with today's digital data, one would think the accuracy would be much more these days. Yet, on my prius, the last 2 tanks have registered full tanks until beyond my first 100 miles. In both cases, it was beeping at me to add gas before I hit 400 miles (and my mileage was not appreciably better in the first stretch). Is this normal?

5. Danny Hamilton

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elcorazon @ Oct 24 2007, 02:43 PM) [snapback]529823[/snapback]</div>
    Yep.

The Prius has a bit of a reputation around here for having a gas gauge that doesn't track the fuel volume linearly.

Even when it gets to the point where the last indicator is flashing at you and the display screen has a message "Add Fuel", some around here report having driven nearly 100 miles, and other report having run out of gas less than 10 miles later.

Personally, I fill up when I get below 2 "pips" on the fuel gauge display if I expect to have to search for a gas station. I am willing to wait until one "pip" if I know there are plenty of gas stations around, and I know that there is cheaper gas up the road a bit. If that last "pip" starts flashing, I pull into the closest gas station I can find and nice person gas no matter what the price or brand. YMMV

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Note that when you adjust the instrument lights without the headlamps turned on that adjustment is stored and when you turn the headlamps on that adjustment is also stored. So you don't have to constantly adjust the brightness.

The fuel sender is the same basic design that has been used for many years. It's just the readout that is "fancy digital stuff". Most Prius will read full for 60-100 mi, maybe more if you overfill, then start dropping.

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a reason people on here call it the Guess Gauge. I'm sure if you search Guess Gauge you will find the reasons for this. Fuel guages are just an indicator, to know how much fuel you have used multiply average fuel consumption by the distance traveled will give a pretty accurate answer.

IE, my current consumption is 4.4L/100km, I have traveled 420km there fore I can calculate I have used 18.48 litres of fuel from my 41 litres last fill up.

8. Danny Hamilton

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Oct 24 2007, 04:12 PM) [snapback]529865[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps in Alberta, but not around here.

I just checked. On my 2007, there is no adjustment available when the headlights are off. Dash and MFD are always at full brightness when headlights are off. The dial only adjusts the dash and MFD when the headlights are on.