1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speedometer giving false reading

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bramwell, Aug 17, 2007.

1. bramwell

bramwell New Member

my first posting.

I have a 2007 Prius T spirit and noticed that the speedometer was reading 5-6 MPH above the reading given by both my Sat Nav PDA and GPS speed camera detector.

My dealer has checked this with a speed gun device and has found that the speedometer is reading 10% above the actual speed. He did the same check with another Prius and found exactly the same problem.

Now I understand that most speedometers read slightly higher than actual speed to give a margin of error but 10% is way too high an error.

Not to mention the fact that when the speedo is reading 70 MPH the car is actually doing 63 MPH, it means that for every 10,000 miles driven, the mileage counter reads 1,000 miles higher than it should which will reduce the trade-in value. It also has an effect on the MPG as this relies on the speed reading to calculate its values. The sat-nav will also be effected i.e. time of arrival.

My dealer says that this problem cannot be corrected as there is no adjustment for the speedometer.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks, Paul.

PS, I saw on another thread that the steering wheel buttons should light up when the headlights are on - mine does not. Is this just a European thing ?

2. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paul B @ Aug 17 2007, 05:58 PM) [snapback]497691[/snapback]</div>
    The speedometer dispaly is intentionally biased to meet "UN-ECE Regulation No. 39".
    http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/39rv1e.pdf

Ken@Japan

3. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Aug 17 2007, 07:17 PM) [snapback]497693[/snapback]</div>
    Wow! Thanks for the info, Ken. Just goes to show that we not only get stuffed around by our various governments and their departments, even the UN gets in to make life difficult.

4. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paul B @ Aug 17 2007, 03:58 AM) [snapback]497691[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Paul,

Mine also reads about 10% fast, In the UK this is normal its just having the digital speedo you see it more and also with sat-navs you see the real speed. You just have to note that a number of important speeds on the prius have to be converted to UK speed. The ICE starts at 44mph not 41mph as will be stated by none UK owners.

As regards to the mileometer I would assume that is correct and does not have the 10% error.

Gary

5. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AussieOwner @ Aug 17 2007, 06:46 AM) [snapback]497703[/snapback]</div>
    You could put new tires on with a different Revs/Mile. For the USA, the standard tire is supposed to be 855 RPM, at least when new. As the tire wears, RPM goes up and apparent speed & mileage increases.

You want the speedometer and odometer to be lower, so get a tire size that is 8 to 10% larger. Look up the specs on whatever tires you have now at either the manufacturer's web site or a place like tirerack.com.

- Tom

6. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Aug 17 2007, 06:02 AM) [snapback]497708[/snapback]</div>
    In the UK only the speedo will read fast by design for "saftey" and so there is no doubt that you are exceeding the speed limit. The miles traveled are accurate. The speed is shown different on the Scangauge but the miles traveled are the same.

7. skandale

skandale Member

As some have already posted, cars are required to show the speed with a margin of error. If you had for instance a ScanGaugeII, you would see that the car deep down within knows the true speed (or at least very close to it).

But I'm surprised to hear of 10% off. My current car (a 2005 Peugeot 1007) is about 4-5% off, which I thought was the norm. Since 10% off is the limit for the UN regulations (in Norway at least, a new car is illegal to sell if it's speedometer is more than 10% optimistic), Toyota seems to have gone very close to the limit.

I remember reading a tread here or on PriusOnline where a Swede had checked his speedometer from 0 to 170kph, finding that the speedometer seemed to have 3 steps of "error". The faster you drive, the bigger difference between displayed speed and true speed. Sadly, I cannot find that posting tight now, but I'll try to find it.

EDIT: Here is the thread. Post #26 has the results from the Swedish jury: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=30709&st=0

Stein

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My motorbike has a 11% error in the speed reading but less than 1% error in the odometer.
    I haven't noticed this with my Prius, will check it against my GPS.

9. bramwell

bramwell New Member

Thanks for the responses - especially the PDF Ken.

I would agree with Stein that 10% should be deemed too high and reading other threads, some owners have said that their speedometers are exactly correct or pretty close.

It's a shame that there is not an adjustment that can be made by the dealer.

I'll just have to keep my maths up to date and subtract 10% all the time.

By the way, my Peugeot Estate is 2 mph above the speedometer reading which I would consider acceptable - you would think that a digital speedo would be at least as accurate as an analogue one.

Paul.

10. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paul B @ Aug 17 2007, 11:50 PM) [snapback]497802[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Paul,

Please be aware that a dealer or any car manufacturers can't adjust it unless the speedometer reading is out of range from the regulation.

Ken@Japan

11. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

Man, mine is like 1-1.5MPH above my speed at 45MPH, so that's 2-3% off, and my tires are nearly worn all the way down. I'm actually putting on some slightly, like 10-15 more revs per mile, tires than the stock ones. I'm tying to get some of that mileage back. I've already gone past the warranty on the Potenzas by 66%, 50k+ miles on a 30k warranty. I figured that was about as good as it was gonna get.

I thought mine was pretty far off, but considering my tires were worn I wasn't too concerned. I'd be pissed knowing that my speed was 10% off.

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexstarfire @ Aug 17 2007, 12:46 PM) [snapback]497889[/snapback]</div>
    According to my GPS the speedo is off 1mph at most. This was observed across PA, OH & IN.

13. bramwell

bramwell New Member

It's starting to look as though this is a european issue.

Anyone in the States have the same problem i.e. 10% higher reading than actual speed ?

Paul.

14. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Japanese 2004 Prius has +6km/h offset to meet the regulation. 10% off at 60km/h.
    But, our 2005 or later models has only +3km/h offset. 5% off at 60km/h.
    Anyway, both readings are within the regulation.

Ken@Japan

15. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    One of the first things I liked about the Prius was the accuracy of the digital speedometer. There are a lot of digital speed check signs where I drive, and my Prius speed is exactly the sign speed, playing with it on numerous different occasions to test it. Not even one mph off, can I detect. This is with the new original tires. I would guess all Prii are built exactly the same.

16. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My GPS shows about 2 mph off.

17. Skinflint

Skinflint New Member

My GPS shows 69 mph when the speedometer shows 70 mph. Sounds close enough to me. :p

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My standard U.S. Prius (non-touring) reads one digit high, which is normal for digital speed displays. For example, if my speedometer shows 55 mph, I am actually going 54 mph, which is pretty darned close to perfect. I may have gained a little accuracy when I switched the tires to Micheline MXV4+ Energies in the stock size.

Tom

19. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi Ken,

Are you implying that a dealer "could" adjust the speedometer if need be? Previous posters (perhaps uninformed) have indicated it is impossible to adjust the speedometer in any way.

It seems deceitful of Toyota to intentionally have the speedometers so off calibration. Most consumers are most likely unaware of this and assume their fuel mileage is greater than reality and it also hurts resale value as the odometer will read higher than actual miles traveled. May also be a profit generator for the dealers as the consumer will take the vehicle in for service more often than needed.

It seems that it would be very simple and inexpensive for automakers to couple the speedometer and odometer with a simple GPS chip to give priority to the GPS speed and mileage data when a satellite signal is available. Maybe some autos already do this.

Rick
    #4 2006

20. madler

madler Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius speedometer consistently reads 3% higher than the GPS, on level ground.

Note that when you do GPS comparisons, you need to be on level ground. The GPS gives you 2D velocity, as if you are on level ground, whether or not you really are. (If you drop a GPS down a mine shaft, it will read zero mph -- until it hits the bottom.)

Your speedometer on the other hand gives you your velocity along whatever slope you're on (as long as your tires are not slipping or skidding). Driving on a one degree slope, up or down, will result in a perfect speedometer reading 1.75% faster than a perfect GPS.

In theory a GPS could compute 3D velocity since they compute a 3D fix (actually 4D including time). However they are much less accurate in the vertical direction than in the two horizontal directions, especially when moving. I use a GPS when flying, and the thing does try to estimate climb and descent rates with the 3D fix. However its not very accurate compared to the standard air-pressure driven vertical speed indicator.