1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speedometer lights are trying to come on...This is different than what I've seen posted??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by IDaniel, Apr 2, 2023.

1. IDaniel

IDaniel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Without depressing brake pedal, pushing Start button once turns on front touchscreen. If start button is then pushed again the back speedometer dash tries to turn on for just a split second but then both screens go off. If I do depress the brake pedal and try to start the vehicle the back speedometer dash tries to light up for a second but then goes out. The aux battery is good (about 13.2 volts) and the Main battery is I believe still good too. I work out of my car and I have an inverter in the back of the car to charge tool batteries and I recently discovered the connections on both the inverter and aux battery were very loose and I realized that's why I've occasionally had to jump the vehicle (from the front jump posts), I've since tightened everything as well as tested the aux/accessory battery.

Any ideas? This car is great. 2004 Gen 2, half a million miles (in fact, we've recently bought an 05 as a back up). But the original 04 has still been going strong with almost no major problems all this time.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sounds a lot like voltage reaching the instruments is really low.

If you are confident the 12 volt battery itself and the connections right back there are ok, then I'd next start there and trace along with a voltmeter to find out where something isn't.

Many voltmeters will have a max/min record function, so you can attach the probes somewhere, then go try to push the button, then go look at the meter and see how low the voltage got at that point when you did.