1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speedometer weridness in an '06 Prius

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by sseres, Jan 17, 2006.

1. sseres

sseres New Member

I hate when forum threads start with the old, "...sorry if this is a repeat thread, but I've searched all over and I can't seem to find the answer to this one..."

but... sorry if this is a repeat thread, but I've searched all over and I can't seem to find the answer to this :(

I was driving last night and stopped at Starbucks for a quick fix. But when I got back on the road, I noticed that the speedometer and lights on the HUD were all out. It was weird and I'd not seen that happen before.

But after some messing around (while driving down I-84 at around the speed of traffic), I noticed that the dimmer wheel was turned all the way down. Moving it back up made my HUD come back to life.

So, my question here is, why is this a good thing? When is there a time that you'd want your HUD off while driving? Does anyone elses car do this?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it's normal all right. i've used the function once: i didn't want to turn the car off while i ran into the gas station for a gallon of milk. so i turned the stereo off, turned the display off, left the headlights on (people do that all the time anyway) and dropped the dimmer switch down. then i put it in EV mode to keep the engine from kicking on.

the car looked and sounded "off" minus the headlights and i went into the gas station.

i was just mad because i couldn't lock it, so i had to keep a close eye on it while inside the store. this town isn't the most honest place on earth, you gotta watch people.

anyway, that's the one time i've ever used that switch to turn off the speedo display. probably useless. :lol:

3. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It would have locked with the mechanical key. It might have even locked if you pressed the lock button on the fob, but I'm not sure of that.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    eh, that was shortly after i got the car and i had forgotten there WAS a mechanical key :lol:

5. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I'm betting the fob would lock.
    Leaving work in a couple. Guess I'll test this theory. B)

6. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I've used this a couple times on long trips at night. With the speed being held by the CC I'll turn off the the screen and the HUD. With the car nice and dark it's easier on my eyes and also easier for the rest of the family to sleep.

7. sseres

sseres New Member

if that doesn't sound like autopilot, then I don't know what is! B)

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah. Sometimes at night just for the heck of it, I turn the MFD off and turn the HUD really really low or sometimes off. It's very dark. Now that's stealth!