1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spell checking

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by hdrygas, Sep 13, 2004.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I can't find the spell checking. What happened? Is it gone. I sure hope not, I need it when I at work. Like now.

2. DanH

DanH New Member

I den't kneed no skell ckeking.

Actually I hope it's just something that temporarly went away as Danny updates the board.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Say it ain't so Joe, say it ain't so

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ewe can due what eye dew and sea if Microsoft Word has problems with you're spelling. If naught, your all good!

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Has anybody noticed that spelling has gotten generally worse as more people use spell checkers? Problem is, if your misspelled word is also a (different) word, the checker won't catch it. Too/to/two; their/there; etc., etc., etc.

I own a dictionary. (Actually, I've got 8 of them, but the small one is on my desk to look up words I'm not sure how to spell.)

Small Merriam-Webster on the desk.
    Small Larrousse English/Spanish on the desk.
    Big dictionary of the Spanish Royal Academy
    Big Oxford English/Spanish
    Big Random House unabridged English
    The complete OED in two volumes with magnifying glass.
    Medium-size Collins English/Spanish
    Medium-size Spanish Royal Academy.
    (The last two for the bedroom for reading in bed.)

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, the Spell Checker is MIA for right now as I finish all of the updates to the board.

Hopefully it'll be back up by the end of the week.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I would tend to agree with you, Daniel. But not only with spelling and basic grammer, mental mathematics skills has declined with the increased use of calculators and computers.

I delivered pizzas through high school and college. I got pretty darned good at making change and counting it back properly (another lost art). Amagine my surprise not too long ago when I was at a fast food McJoint I won't name and the total came to something like $7.12. I gave $10.25 and the nice young man slid the quarter back to me saying, "oh you don't need this" and proceded to give me $.88 in coins.

Sad part is he probably felt he did me a favor in pointing out that I put too much money on the counter.

But yes, I would agree that my spelling overall is not the best and has no inclination of getting better now that I know I can tell M$ Word to automatically fix my regularly mispelled words. I will say, however, that I learned gooder grammar by running the M$ Grammar checker on my college comp papers and making mental notes of the most common errors.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I used an abacus and a slide rule all the way through jr. high, high school, and college. My first calculator ate batteries like a porpoise eats fish, and only did +, -, /, and *, so I didn't use it much. When I finally got a solar-powered scientific calculator, I felt sad retiring my trusty old slide rule. I still have it, for nostalgia.

10. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

Ah, cen count back proper change, and even counting up to the amount you handed me in the first place, (sometimes [heck quite often I have to do this because our cash registers have crappy keyboards and I have big finger syndrome on them])

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I am at home I use Spell Catcher. There is a windows version as well. It has a dictionary and thesaurus built in and sits in background checking your keyboard and doing spelling for you all the time and in every program you use. Has a dictionary for various languages, most of the common European languages. Has British English, Canadian English etc., Medical, and Legal, Scientific Engineering dictionaries. I cannot install it at work "THEY" won't let me so it is cut, paste into word, spell check and paste back. On my Mac Spell Catcher just sits there in the background checking my spelling. I do screw up on the homonyms from time to time. With my dyslexia this is a chronic problem. I would recommend Spell Catcher. Goggle them or Rainmaker.com. I have been using this product for years and it just gets better and better. 8) It is a small company and programmer and is deserving of support. Try it you will like it.

12. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is this the sort of calculator some of you were familiar with
    Edited 'cause I agree with Frank it was probably funny years ago when I saved it but not so funny now. ZAP!

13. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

that's funny in a sick sort of way.