1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spider net

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Renocat, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Probably a silly question...My prius came with the vertical cargo net. I have had other cars with them and understand fully how they function.

I have seen the horizontal spider nets...how do they work? Do you put stuff under them and the net holds the item in place?

Sorry to be so blonde...but I just can't picture how they are used... :lol:

2. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

I may need to understand more about what you mean by vertical verses horizontal cargo nets.

I purchased the Toyota cargo net for the Prius. It runs horizontally from the left side of the hatch to the right side, without blocking the view from the lower portion of the hatch window. It can hold things in between the two sides of the nets and it tends to keep stuff from moving around.

Does that help?

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As you imagine, the horizontal net stretches b/w all 4 existing metal D-rings. You put your stuff under and the net holds it down so it isn't sliding around or falling over. Works great actually...much more useful than the vertical OEM one...though I tend to use both. Bread and 'crushables' go in the vertical net, milk and other stuff that would slide/roll around go under the horizontal one.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have both nets. I rarely put things IN the vertical net, it's mostly to keep stuff from sliding out the back when I open the hatch.

The spider net I use for large or heavy things. I bought three fairly large ceramic flower pots and put the spider net over them. It kept them firmly in place and kept them from tipping over and rolling around and breaking.

If I had to chose between the two I'd choose the spider net.

5. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use 2 collapsable plastic crates instead of nets. Each crate is 44 x 32 x 23 cm and will hold 3 or 4 bags of groceries. The high sides keep the contents of each bag from falling out.
    The crates fold flat and end up being about 6 cm in height, so when folded they take up little room.
    In an accident, one could expect the crates and their contents to end up in the front of the car with you.
    How good would the nets be in retaining cargo in the back of the car in the event of an accident?

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Aug 1 2006, 11:01 PM) [snapback]296076[/snapback]</div>
    I've got the soft 'crate' things too, but don't use them.

I think the net would be helpful in an accident from keeping relatively small/light objects restrained, but in a high speed accident with a heavy object (think TV or computer monitor) your best prayer is that it's caught by the seat.