1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spied my first Accord Hybrid

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by efusco, Aug 1, 2005.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Again, this is probably no big deal for many of you, but I saw my first Accord Hybrid in the 'wild' today. Here in SW MO you just don't see a lot of anything other than P/U trucks and SUVs, so the hybrids are still looked at as oddities.

I'm yet to notice a 400h or a HiHy in the wild yet around here. But the Prius has become pretty common place with the odd Civic Hybrid or Insight popping up once or twice per month.

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I've yet to see an Accord Hybrid, I've seen a few Escape Hybrids and lots of Classics and some Insights. Some G2's and most of them are Taxi's Hybrids are still a very small niche market car here. I see more "Smart for two" than hybrids.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen my first Accord Hybrid in the wild yesterday. Actually, it was two. Both were parked at the side at Canadian customs on the Canadian side of the border. Both were silver. I've seen 3 RX400hs and one black HiHY.

4. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I rode in one for 2 days a couple of months ago. It is all leather, burled wood-plastic, quiet and smooth. About 36mpg combined. The ICE MG work opposite the Prius (MG from a stop and then ICE at 40+mph cruise).

5. 00Silverado

00Silverado New Member

I saw one on the 10 freeway in LA yesterday. I like the looks of them, and the fact that they have a powerful engine. My dad likes them, but I think if he gets a Hybrid it will be another Prius.

6. senna4ever

senna4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I test drove one 2 months go for about 45 minutes. I loved how it drove. The crappy audio system was the deal breaker, though. Why do hybrids have such muddy sounding audio systems?[​IMG]

7. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It's not just hybrids. It seems to be pretty much ALL OEM premium sound systems have been 'pre-tuned' for the stock speakers, which means messed up equalizer settings burned/programmed into the amps or heads.

You can tell they're aftermarket unfriendly by the custom dash-fitted OEM head-units that looks so good now.

So pay once for premium sound, pay again to rip it out and put something else better in.

8. senna4ever

senna4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^^^ not quite. The sound system in my old 1989 Legend coupe was great, although I did get an aftermarket Kenwood Minidisc deck later on. The sound system in my Lexus is awesome sounding....with 2 less speakers than my Prius!

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Time to try the RX400h with the Mark Levinson Sound System :p

10. senna4ever

senna4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don't get too optimistic. The Mark Levinson in the new GS430 didn't sound too hot. The Nakamichi systems in the older Lexus cars sounded better, IMO. I love the car, though!

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? Hmm... but then each vehicle is optimised. The RX has the 11-speaker version.

12. Orsino

Orsino New Member

I loooove my Prius, but the Accord is a special treat to drive--even though I don't know what all the buttons do yet. :roll: