1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spilled food/drink in MY car? Who, ME?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Jack 06, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    What can I say? Nineteen days until 1/1/06...

Most of us, if we picture in our minds other PC members driving at all, probably picture mature, responsible, fairly neat individuals calmly and efficiently driving their Priuses---to work, running an errand, on vacation, whatever.

What we may NOT picture is a crazed person, not "focused 100%", frantically trying to maneuver in traffic WHILE stuffing down a fat, gooey Taco Bell burrito and/or slurping a 64-oz. Big One...

...much less getting it all over our beloved car! :p

Any prodigious tales of spillage have you? (Think Yoda.) If not you, your beloved family or friends? If not this car, another?

Anything so bad you had to stop somewhere and stanch the bleeding before you got home? :rolleyes:

Or does your car always look like the Lincoln bedroom in the White House?

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i've spilled SEVERAL things in my car... all clean up fairly easy. i did have my sis apply fab protection (for cheap she works at Ford dealership) but from the myriad of posts here, even without the fabric treatment, the stuff cleans up very nicely

3. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I sprayed salad + dressing all over the inside of my best girlfriend's old Corolla. We used to work in the same building and took lunches together. It was a nice day, we grabbed some grub from McD's and headed to PCH for a nice drive along the beach. She got a salad, back when they had them in the clear cup-shaped containers with a lid (the containers fit nicely in a cupholder, I might add). I added the dressing for her, then offered to shake the salad up for her too, you know, to coat the salad with the dressing.

Yeah.

I didn't put the lid on tight enough and shook with all my might. The lid flew off. Bits of dressing-covered salad and chicken went EVERYWHERE. She had to pull over so we could first stop laughing, then spend the next 30 minutes picking up inedible salad bits off the entire inside of her car (floor, seats, dashboard, windows, backseat, everywhere!)

4. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

LOL @ Rancid =)

The one big spill I remember was late at night, coming out of Epcot. I was carrying a to-go box of assorted chinese food, and somehow managed to spill it all over the front passenger side of my dad's nissan sentra. We spent a looong time picking out all the grains of fried rice that night =)

the reason i remember that so well is that every SINGLE time you got a little water on the floorboards up there, the whole car would start to smell like china buffet

5. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Why did I know I could count on you (Rancid)? :lol:

More to the point, why didn't you LICK the salad off? :p (Well, at least some surfaces.)

6. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    LOL! Her cars have always been notably filthy on the inside. You couldn't pay me enough to lick so much as a window on the inside. I'd be willing to bet that the side of the glass that is exposed to the elements is cleaner than the inside. Along with dressing-sticky salad bits, we were also picking up bits of dirt, lint, old trash, hair, and who knows what else.

That was over 5 years ago, and we still laugh about it: "Remember the time I covered the entire inside of your car with salad?" "And we had to pull into the parking lot at the beach to clean it up?" Good times.

7. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I never understood how people could actually eat while driving. That's utterly disgusting. Particularly when you touch the steering wheel or MFD with food-stained hands. It's just gross, obnoxious, and RECKLESS.

:angry:

8. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Those people have mastered the art of steer-with-one-hand-eat-with-the-other technique. I have not mastered it. I park, then eat. Even then, I've been known to drop or spill things. And this is while not in motion!! Otherwise there's an accident waiting to happen. With both the food/drink and with other vehicles.

9. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

When I was ready to sell my Honda I took it in to have it detailed. I have vowed to never let a car get that bad again. I don't eat while driving any more. I haven't spilled anything. I'm a clean freak now!

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    last summer i dropped a piece of melty chocolate in the car. it ran down my shirt, landed on my jeans, then plopped itself down on the seat cover. then when i had the car parked and i turned to unbuckle my seat belt, i got chocolate from my shirt on the seat belt.

that was a disaster. whew. it all came clean though, even the light blue shirt. i will never again eat or drink anything in the car unless it is colorless! even if i did just put in a 14 hour day with no break for lunch.

i should say though, generally i'm a neat freak. i keep nothing but some CDs, a trash bag (that never gets used) and my lucky Garfield in the car.

11. Mystery Squid

Oh yeah, I had to relate this little story:

Many years ago, I had a boss that was fat, and gross.

I'll never forget walking into her sh-thole cube, and watching her type with fingers covered in Cheet-o flavoring. Apparently, she did this so often, that they letters had disappeared from her keyboard. She was truly gross, it even smelled bad when she got up from her chair, as I swear she only bathed every other day or so. I used to day dream that WWII SS soldiers would burst in and torch her cube with a flamethrower.

I'll never forget how she used to go out of her way to make sure no one saw her husband whenever he would pop in.

One day I saw precisely why...

I caught a glimpse of him in the lunch room once... It was sort of like the terminator: a ball of lightning opens up not from the future, but rather a mental institution from 1975, to reveal this extremely strange looking short fat man with a seriously out of control fro, super thick bold rimmed glasses, dirty white t-shirt, white socks with colored stripes pulled up to just about his knee caps, and sandals, with a terrible attitude.

I joke not.

:ph34r:

12. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: is it really reckless when one can control the rate of consumption vs. the hand-eye-mouth coordination?.. :lol: ....I've never eaten a full meal behind the wheel. But occasionally, on long road trips, I gnaw on some jerky.

All the time I see some big fat bloke stuff his gob with a big mac while doing a NASCAR-style lane change. You gotta wonder what the inside of that car smells like!!!!

Oh yea, it just came to me...though I didn't spill it, I forgot about the Korean food doggy-bag (Kimchi) that I put into the back hatch of my old Aztek...it sat in the hot Florida sun for 8 hours before I figured it out :(

13. Mystery Squid

Or those smokers who keep their windows closed, and you can see blue smoke swirling around the cabin.

14. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

That one never ceases to amaze me - but then, you look in the back seat and there is a child (or 2 or 3) in the car seat too!!!!!

15. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh, now THAT is nasty :eek:

16. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

My original post wasn't mere theorizing.

In a hurry, I grabbed a bean burrito at Taco Bell. Usually, I eat it while the car is not moving (parking lot, even bites when stopped at lights (oooh, rhymes)

On this occasion, I was inflamed (or something) and sped off while still unwrapping the damned thing. Normally, I'd make sure that wrapper/paper is fully UNDER the bottom of the burrito. Normally.

I tried to take a giant bite from the top. I felt a rapid "decompression" from the main part of it, where my hand was holding it.

Then I felt something warm on my, er, crotch.

Glancing down, I saw that when I bit, about 2/3 of the bean glop had BURST through the bottom "fold" (yeah, right, they probably spotted me and deliberately left one end UNfolded) and splatted on both me and the seat.

Not a calamitous thing, volume-wise. But try dealing with all that goo---without a napkin, which I forgot, only that slick wrapper--- while in traffic.

Think that's stupid? Before my brain flowered and I got smart enough to buy a thermal cup designed to fit In My Cupholder (duh), I spilled countless household-cups-ful of coffee, tea, hot chocolate, whatever, which I insisted on trying to keep nestled in the corner of the passenger-side footwell.

17. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Doh! I've had many an unfolded (or undone folded) bean burrito from Taco Bell...I learned long ago that when eating them, first I park. Then I unroll and re-roll my burrito so as not to have a, er, near-calamitous event occur. Even when eating one while parked, the gooey stuff inside just wants out and will try to find a way to do so. Usually occurs in a tear or weak tortilla spot mid-burrito.

18. Mystery Squid

Man...

How can you folks eat Taco Bell? I take one look at that stuff and start feeling nauseous. Stuff looks exactly like watered down dog crap.

I think it just disgusts me as to how everything is so automated for convenience. The way they have "caulk-guns" that squirt out a precise amount of some fluid, or other, loaded up from some large 5 gallon vat marked only with "SOUR CREAM" in black letters against a white label. I find that sort of efficiency almost offensive.

:ph34r:

19. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

I spilled soy sauce once when I was transporting some kitchen stuff when I was moving... it got all over my back seat, but I was able to sponge it down quickly. The smell took a little while to dissipate, but overall I was impressed the fabric back there could withstand it with little to no staining.

20. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I used to eat at Taco Bell a lot more often than I do now. I don't know how I stomached it that often (nearly daily). It had more to do with them being cheap (and therefore right in line with my meager budget) and easily accessible (one 1/2 mile from my house, another 1/8 mile from my work). I haven't eaten at Taco Bell in a couple of months now. I probably go about once every 2 months, if that. If I have only ~$2 in my wallet and I'm super hungry, know where I can go for a taco, burrito, and small soda to quench my appetite.