1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spiral Cable, Clock Spring w/Nav or wo/Nav?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by eddie27970, Sep 28, 2011.

1. eddie27970

eddie27970 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At first, Defrost buttons intermitent. Then, working only when wheel turned. I'm sure I have a bad "spiral cable" as Toyota calls it, clock spring as everyone else.

My question is, Is there a difference in clock springs for an 05 Prius with Navigation and an 05 Prius without these extra buttons on the steering wheel?

It seems there is only one part number, not specifying one way or the other.

Also, there is one on Ebay that matches my navigation (an 06, one year newer but I assume will work) except it has a blown air bag, which I also assume has burned the connectors. Then-again, they sell new replacement connectors. Is it OK to replace these connectors? Thanks everyone.

2. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When an airbag 'blows up' there is alot of concentrated force in that small area. I bought a used clockspring on ebay and found darkened connectors and one side of the wiring not even attached, probably due to air bag deployment. I don't remember if I got my money back, I then went to the dealer for the part.

3. eddie27970

eddie27970 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The one you described is about what I'd expect from a blown air bag. However, on Ebay, they also advertise the two wires, with connectors, for the air bags, as if you could solder them to a used clock spring and make it good again.

I'm still wondering if there is a difference in the clock springs for a navigation Prius (with the extra buttons on the right side of the wheel) and one without navigation

Plus, has anyone ever put on these new air bag wires and fixed a clock spring?

4. 99009903

99009903 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can the spiral cable cause the horn, AC wheel control and tracktion to learch?

These are new problems that were created while our 06 with 17k had to have the rack and pinion assembly
    Replaced for 2000.00

Is there a virus that attacks a Prius while it is in the hands of Servco Hawaii?

5. Savedprius

Savedprius "just cut it"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe not for the Prius, but for the people it is called H.A.W.A.I.I. It causes utter relaxation, no known cure.

I will be taking out my spiral/clockspring later today to look for loose connections. It is used to the point that I will have to replace the airbag connectors because the person removing the delicate connectors used a little to much force and put a crack in one of them that I did not notice. I have lost half of the steering wheel dash illumination. May be a lost cause, but I will look anyway.

Keep you updated to what I find.

6. Savedprius

Savedprius "just cut it"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just realized I'm playing in the wrong neighborhood as I have a 2011. But, I did take it off and unfortunately I did not find any outer loose connections. I wanted so badly to take it apart and get to the spiral connections inside but I need the car to run so I will have to wait until I get the replacement from the vendor. I will at that time take it apart and let you all know what I find.....

7. 99009903

99009903 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks a million for your help.
    Richard