1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Splash Guard/Mud Flaps

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Raichu, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Raichu

Raichu New Member

I was looking around the site to see if this has come up or a viable option for the Prius. A friend suggested to get the splash/mud guards put on. That it will save a lot of cleaning especially in keeping asphalt tar off the side. Having the ultra-white color, and a recent rainstorm convinced me to look into this option. Any advice?

2. redbird

redbird New Member

Still in Ohio, but hopefully not after retirement.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I confess - I don't have my Prius yet. It's on order, but I have been learning a lot on the web.

Here is where I plan to buy my mud guards and some other options:

http://www.coastaletech.com/04prius.htm

Good shoppin'!

Jeryy (aka redbird)

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:ee3707dee9]A great place to start looking is among the sponsors of PriusChat. Click on the link on the left.

I got my mudguards from Metro Toyota. Fast service at a good price.

Have fun with your new car![/font:ee3707dee9]

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can get them through your dealer and not have to pay shipping costs. They're simple to install on your own.

I highly recommend them. My Pri is black so it keeps the car much cleaner. And they do look quite nice.

5. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:8b4226c258]Hi Galaxee. Maybe it's a regional thing, but my dealer here in the Northwest said he couldn't find a part number. It's always good to keep your business local if you can.[/font:8b4226c258]

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Bill, that's weird. Although it may be regional I must say not ALL parts guys are brilliant... :roll: My husband works with them daily and had to give the guy a hard time when he couldn't find ANY Prius accessories in the computer system... sometimes they just don't know what to look for! :)

(in the end we bought 3 accessories from the dealer once the parts guy actually found them... and with an employee discount no less!)

7. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:38714a44c8]Just reporting my experience, Galaxee.

Ernest might also be interested in some of the options and accessories that are not available from the dealer, but are from PriusChat sponsors such as Sigma Automotive or other PriusChat members.[/font:38714a44c8]

8. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought a new set on ebay for approx. $40 w/ shipping, so you might want to look there.

Definetely worth the money!

9. Raichu

Raichu New Member

Thanks for all the great sites to "trick out" my Prius, soooo many things to consider. My dealer can order the splash guards for me for around $50, but installation was going to be $70-$80, I think for that, I can install them myself. I'll let you know how "easy" they are to install. ;-)

Cheers,

10. alsgameroom

alsgameroom Member

I like the classic car look! My prii is silver so I'm putting on stainless steel splash guards behind the f+r wheels.
    In front of the rear wheels go a pair of black rubber splash guards.
    (total cost $31.00 + tax at local parts store).

IMO this combo probably would only look good on silver, black or white.
    (anyway...going on vaca so won't do this for a couple of weeks, maybe I'll post some pix).

I looked up under the car and sh*t at the amount of cheezy plastic, what the h*ell is this supposed to protect? especially if I hit a chunk of ice in the winter! :( Oh yeah and the plastic fasteners blew my mind too, I could turn them with my bear hand, how long till these fall off?
    Some one should make these pieces in a stronger material ..I'd replace them in a heartbeat!

Since I cant see how these plastic "shrouds" protect from rain water and dirt getting up into the under body, I'm also in the process of removing these plastic shrouds and undercoating the car then putting the plastic back on.
    You see, they salt/sand mix the roads by me constantly during the winter months. I dont want early rotting in the wheel wells and and lower body.

:D have fun!

Al

11. bobc

bobc New Member

Al,

The common thought is that the plastic pieces under the car are for aerodynamics. They're not for protection. And most of the plastic fasteners will spin. They're not screws. If you look at them closely, they need to be popped out with a screwdriver. A couple of them require a 10mm socket.

I have the same concern as you regarding salt and sand. When I pulled them down the first time, there was tons of debris in them. After having removed them and seeing the layout of the panels and the car bottom, I now know how to aim the garden hose nozzle to clean the debris away that collects in there.

12. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    About 5 years.

I am in the process of locating all new fasteners for the lower plastic panels.