1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spooling / ticking noise?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pshady, Sep 11, 2004.

1. pshady

pshady New Member

do your prii make a spooling / ticking noise sometimes when you are braking or slowing down? it seems to come from the front of the driver side.

is this normal? I'm not sure how to describe the sound, but there is definitely a sound (sometimes).

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

you mean the sound of regen, kind of a swishing noise.

3. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    A couple of friends of mine say it sounds like jet engine winding down when coming to a stop.

4. pshady

pshady New Member

ok, so i guess it's normal!

I was starting to worry! :oops: :D

5. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maybe pshady is refering to the sound I've also noticed coming from under the dashboard. It happens sometimes when I'm driving, but also sometimes when I press on the brake before turning the car on. I assumed that it was from the device connected to the brake pedal that controls regen. The car makes so many interesting sounds when it boots up or shuts down that I didn't really give it much thought.

Maybe some ambitious person with a portable recorder could post some wav files of the various normal sounds the Prius makes. Things like the coolant pump, or the ticking sound from under the dash.

6. CHART

CHART Member

Shady, you are not insane!! OK, maybe you are insane, but if you are, you have company! The noise you are referring to does happen when you brake and is very noticable in my Prius. I've never taken the time to figure out exactly what it is, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with the car either going into regenerative breaking or from regenerative breaking to physical breaking. It seems to be much more noticable during hard breaking.

Ever notice all of the switches closing and opening when you power up or power down the car? Always reminds me of the beginninng of the Animusic CD (www.animusic.com) where the instruments are powering up.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that is a regen braking...

i never would describe it as a ticking sound thou, although the sound of a jet winding down is a very good description.

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The other noise you could be hearing is the hydraulic boost pump which provides the power brake presure. It consists of a whirring which drops in tone as presure increases, then followed by a click of the relay that turns the pump off (probably pressure activated).

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that could be as i equate the regen noise as more of a hum than anything

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No ticking but "whirring" or "humming" I have always assumed it was regenerative breaking. I am light on the breaks, I have not been "on" the breaks yet. It really sound like a electric motor spinning to me, but what do I know. We need the monitor thingie. We need to know this stuff.

11. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The sound that I'm curious about could be described as a ticking, or possibly a ratcheting sound. It occurs when you press on the brake pedal, and sometimes can be heard when you press down on the pedal before turning on the hybrid system. This is totally separate from the sound that the motor/generators are making during regen. That sound can be best described as a whir, whine, or a jet engine.

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    if you push hard enough, sometimes you might hear the anti lock mechanism going off, but that would be rare i would think. the anti lock system cycles on an off real fast and you might hear a clicking sound for a second at the most once in a while... (when moving you would never hear it, only when stopped)

but you should not be pushing on the brake pedal that hard. it isnt necessary and i dont think it is good for your car. the only way i found out about it was because i was sitting a light and stretched and pushed hard enough to set it off.

13. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maybe this is a change with the later '04s. Normal depression of the brake pedal before pressing the power button results in a ticking or ratcheting sound from under the dashboard. It doesn't sound abnormal to me, and I assumed that it had something to do with brake pedal positioning to determine regen rate.

14. canuckican

canuckican New Member

I agree with vapor_pearl, it is like a ticking or ratcheting. i have heard this sound MANY times and wondered what it was. As it happens when the car is not in motion, I doubt it is a regenerative braking action, but it could be related to the motor used as a generator during the regen braking. It is hard to see why pressing on a brake pedal in a stationary car would make a motor spin up to speed though, isn't it?

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i didnt know you could do it before the car is started.

16. canuckican

canuckican New Member

Yes, this is what makes it such a strange sound!!! As vapor_pearl said

Note this is BEFORE pressing the power button. Same on mine.

17. CHART

CHART Member

Don't think it is related to newer Prii. My Prius is in the 15K serial number range (bought it in Dec 2003) and I hear the "ticking" clear as day most times I press the brakes.

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    mine does it too on occasion when the car is running and mine is one of the newer ones.

19. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    "Classic" Prius does it too - slightly different sound, but it is the brake pump none the less.

20. GrokMakeFire

GrokMakeFire New Member

Mine is in today for some aftermarket work and a check of this sound. Will advise...