1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sportivo suspension + Buzz (my '06 #8)...oh my!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Pinto Girl, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm still processing what's different/what I like/what I don't about the TRD Sportivo suspension change (I'm not sure if it's accurate to call it an upgrade) that I had performed on Buzz, my white '06, pkg 8; it's been less than a day since the work was performed.

I feel kind of self conscious, just blathering on like this...but here I go anyway...

After reading a thread here on pruischat about the availability of the kit, I decided that it might be something I'd be interested in adding to my car. I placed an order through Carson Toyota some weeks back and was surprised by eMail from both Gordon at Carson and UPS, informing me that the 'stuff' was on its way.

In the meantime, I'd been involved in a lengthy personal debate over who I'd entrust with taking apart my almost new baby:

1. My longtime mechanic who has been incredibly helpful in keeping my '73 Pinto Runabout running and more or less in one piece. He's really attentive and said that he's done "some work" on Prii, but there seem to be, primarily, old cars around his shop.
    2. My not-as-longtime-but-still-lontime Toyota Dealer, who -- except for the occasional offer to add some concoction to the engine or transmission oil of my old RAV-4 -- has given me excellent service.

I ended up taking her to the Toyota dealer, and the results seem to be excellent (tho' it did cost about $150 more for the service). Brought her in in the AM, walked to the train and rode into work, then back again...and she was done. They also did an alignment but said that they'd checked the level of the headlights and they were "within spec" so no adjustment was performed.

When she was pulled up, my first reaction was that she seemed a little lower, but actually it looked kind of normal, maybe a little less like she's on tippy toes than how she seemed to me before. The instructions in the Sportivo kit said that it would lower the front end by 20mm, and the rear by 15mm.

As soon as I pulled out of the lot, I could feel the difference. There were suddenly lots more little bumps in the road!

I've driven lowered vehicles before, so I wasn't too terribly surprised, but it was marked, to be sure. Then I made my first turn and the compromise seemed to be more worthwhile.

My home isn't far from the dealer, and I've only driven her to the transit station parking lot this morning, but I really do like the way she drives, even if the ride isn't as smooth. She's less floaty, which I prefer, and...well...okay, I admit, it...I think she looks great like this, too.

Pardon me; I know that's terribly vain.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take Buzz for a little drive up to Mendocino this weekend, or maybe down to Big Sur. Keep the consumption screen off, your right foot on the gas, and your eyes on the hairpins. Report back to us on Monday. :)

3. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Congrats! I'm still awaiting my parts of Sigma. How much did you pay your dealership to get it installed?

Anyways, did you give time for your suspension to "settle" before you did the alignment? Usually, that's done a few days and some spirited driving after installation.

4. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Sep 14 2006, 03:38 PM) [snapback]319707[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you! I'm REALLY excited! The entire installation cost $680.00, including the alignment. It sounds like a lot to me but I'm in for a Penny, in for a Pound, right...and wanted it to be done as professionally as reasonably possible.

In comparison, the mechanic who works on my Pinto said he would charge "around $400" for the work plus an alignment done at a local tire store (his shop doesn't have a rack). He also said he'd need two or three days to do the work.

You know, I wanted to try and get the whole thing done at the same time, so I went ahead and had them align it after they installed the parts. My work schedule makes it difficult to get stuff like this done during the week. I've heard that it is better to wait, though, as you've suggested...will probably keep an eye on tire wear and perhaps have another alignment done down the road (no pun intended). I've still got the Integrity tires on her; I'm not too terribly concerned for time being.

I did notice that the service personnel put nearly 30 miles on her, though, and mileage on that tank went down from 52.1 to 48.3; I suspect a bit of spirited driving was performed as part of the service. I'll be taking the recommendation (above) and adding more spirited miles this weekend...

...just to be on the safe side!
    [smile]

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Sep 14 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]319592[/snapback]</div>
    You drove in a 73 pinto?! Did you have the optional rubber baby buggy bumpers installed on the differential to protect the gas tank or did you have the gas tank reinstalled on the roof so it was safe from a re end collision! I am glad you are still here and in a safer car.

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Sep 14 2006, 06:53 PM) [snapback]319799[/snapback]</div>
    Well, yes, actually I drive (present tense) Blossom, but more for fun on weekends now. The two of us have been everywhere together; my Mom bought her new in '73 and gave her to me when I turned 16, and she's been mine ever since then.

As a matter of fact, yes, I can still remember clearly the car being recalled and taking her into the dealership for the repair. Fortunately, given the reputation for quality that Ford continues to enjoy to this very day, I'm sure the cheap plastic gas tank shield hasn't become brittle or otherwise deteriorated during a quarter of a century of exposure to the elements...

Thanks for your well wishes. I feel so much less vulnerable now that I'm in my Prius; I love it. It's funny, though...I look at Blossom now and can't believe that I drove her everywhere I did, for as many years as I did. But at the time she was just another car, and I had to get to college, or work, or wherever.

I suppose that times have changed, as have I. Come to think of it, so has the speed limit! The 'double nickel' was much more comfortable for her, as I usually find myself in 4th at about 35mph!

I like the idea of the gas tank on the roof! Reminds me of an emissions control device I invented years ago: There would be this big bag on top of the car which would be connected to the exhaust pipe with a tube...when the bag fills up, you'd just throw it away!!
    [smile]