1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sportivo Suspension Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by cairo94507, Sep 17, 2006.

1. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just ordered the Sportivo TRD struts and springs for my '05 which has 39,200 miles at present. I have had the 17" Scion TC wheels since it had 9,000 miles on it. I am looking forward to some tighter handling and ride characteristics. I will keep you all updated re the installation and how it rides once installed. Cost me $990 plus $20 shipping to get them. I still think that is kind of expensive, but they have the only game in town for our cars.

2. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Sep 17 2006, 08:11 PM) [snapback]320931[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, it is pretty expensive, but if you want it you've got no choice.

I think you'll be quite ahppy with the improved handling.

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto. Works well, and seems to be worth the price. I've just written about my first weekend with the Sportivo installed; my $0.02 worth.

4. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pinto Girl - Nice write up; I enjoyed reading it. I too am kind of spoiled when it comes to driving cars which have set the bar for expectations. I presently have a 2001 Acura NSX that handles better than anythinbg I have ever owned (and that says a lot) and prior to that a Carrera 997 C4S. Lots of nice rides in my past. Given all that, I just love the Prius! Really looking forward to the Sportivo change. Thanks.

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you; I'm glad you enjoyed my write-up.

The worst thing about the Sportivo upgrade is waiting for the parts to arrive!!

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Sep 19 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]321832[/snapback]</div>
    No, the worst thing was having the parts sit in my garage and not have the time to get them installed.

7. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The parts are scheduled to arrive on Wednesday and the car goes into the shop on Friday for the install and 4 wheel alignment. That's the plan.......

8. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Sep 19 2006, 06:23 PM) [snapback]321996[/snapback]</div>
    That's pretty fast; where did you order from? I ordered mine from Sigma July 31, and still waiting.

9. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You might want to search 'alignment' here on PC.

As I understand it (and I certainly could be mistaken) the rear wheel alignment is not easily adjustable. There was some discussion about making shims (I believe galaxee had more information on this, but again, I could be wrong) and tweaking it that way, as well as a warning not to use washers(?) instead.

I also think that one person actually received the recommendation to replace the rear beam axle in the quest for correct alignment!!

10. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought them from Carson Toyota - they arrived today and are in the garage awaiting Friday morning for installation. I will make sure the rear is done correctly.
    Thanks for the tip.

11. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Sep 20 2006, 01:55 PM) [snapback]322452[/snapback]</div>
    Speaking of 4-wheel alignment.

Why not get the lifetime 4-wheel alignment from Firestone for $139? They do restrict no more than 2 alignment a year though.

Man. I am thinking about this mod too. Just don't know if I should do the Tom's tower/lower brace and BT brace or this Sportivo mod. Any suggestions?

12. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Sep 20 2006, 05:24 PM) [snapback]322567[/snapback]</div>
    The Tom's Braces will definatley stiffen up your vehicle. I have all the Tom's braces and definatley noticed the difference. I'm debating on the Sportivo suspension though. I don't want to lose my factory ride height.

For those who have done this mod, how much did it lower your vehicle? any before and after shots?

13. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I am on top of the picture thing. I have taken pictures of all 4 wheels/wells with a tape measure and the measurement of the before. After Friday I will take the after pictures and then post them all. I am hoping it only drops about 1/2" in the front and rear. We will have to see......

14. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, sorry about the delay-been way to busy with work lately. Had the struts and spring and alignment done a week ago Friday and I just love it. It looks clean now without being obviously lowered. I believe it came down about 1/2" total and just cleaned the look up nicely. The ride is not harsh at all and it now rides like my Accord and does not float all over the road when I am on bridges or freeways.

I tried to post the before and after pictures but I guess the gallery is down. I tried to post in conjunction with the reply here but even when I resize the photos to small it still will not allow them to attach. I will have to try again maybe next weekend to see if the gallery is up and running. Regardless, I give this project an A+. Oh the cost to install and align was $369 out the door at Big O Tires in Dublin, CA and they did a great job. The car remained nice and clean with no damage at all. They had it about 4 hours total. I mention that not as a plug, but as a reminder that this was just struts/springs and an alignment. I see no need to pay the dealership twice that amount for this type of work when Big O does this stuff everyday of the week.

15. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The only plus for having a dealer alignment is that it's not guaranteed that a 3rd party shop can reset the straight-line (zero) reference point on VSC equipped cars since it requires a Toyota scantool.

16. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The kit lowers the rear by 15mm (about 0.75") and the front 20mm (nearly 1"). Also, because of the rake, the very front of the car is a bit lower than that.

The suspension makes a huge difference, if you're willing to live with a harsher ride and less ground clearance. Usually the former isn't a problem, but on some sections of concrete freeway with expansion strips (here in Northern CA), the car can get into this pitching motion that is kind of disruptive. It even gets the top part of the dash (the little brow above the instrument display) shaking quite a bit; the rest of the car does a nice little dance then, too.

Thing is, I don't care. The car looks amazing now, not so much on tippy toes as before, and the wheel wells are filled nicely too. No tire clearance problems, even in hard turns. And it has that mysterious 'what's different about that car?' look.

Also installed the BT Brace; made a further modest improvement. Overall very happy with everything, but I think the Sportivo bits may be too stiff for some people.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What if you combined the Sportivo with ComforTreds haha.

18. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I find the Sportivo pretty comfortable compared to my previous car's suspension (2003 Nissan Spec-V). My Spec's suspension was HARD; Speed bumps were good for jarring that piece of candy off the roof of your mouth. Sportivo will stiffen up the ride, but not to the point where it is uncomfortable. Low profile tires will give more harshness, as well. The performance trade-off far outweighs any comfort that is sacrificed, though. Nothing like taking a hard turn without understeer! :D

19. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Oct 4 2006, 10:54 AM) [snapback]327816[/snapback]</div>
    Absolutely. So far it seems that there isn't a single person that has installed this kit and is UNhappy with it.

20. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2fst4u @ Oct 4 2006, 09:00 AM) [snapback]327850[/snapback]</div>
    Are you hitting on me? Let's go make out in the corner, baby!