1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spots on hood

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JoeyJoeJoShabadoo Jr, Oct 7, 2007.

1. JoeyJoeJoShabadoo Jr

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I washed my Prii today for the first time since i picked it up about two weeks ago. While washing i noticed two spots on the hood. I didn't notice them when i picked up the car or since i've had it. Basically they are about the size of a smiley :unsure: and look like oil spills, having a metallic rainbow color. I tried washing them out and giving them a good rub with a microfiber sponge but they don't budge. It appears that they are below the clear coat finish, hence why they cannot be rubbed out. I wanna go back to the dealership and show them but i feel they won't care or will say it's not their problem because i drove it off the lot. Any suggestions/advice?

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Why not just take it to the dealer and tell them the same thing? The worst they can do is say "it's your problem." The best they could do is say "this looks like a factory defect, and we'd be happy to re-paint."

4. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Its probably just a chemical stain in the clearcoat. Try using something like Meguiars Scratch-X and see if they come out.

5. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JoeyJoeJoShabadoo @ Oct 7 2007, 04:12 PM) [snapback]522532[/snapback]</div>
    I noticed something similar the other day on mine; a couple of shiney brown spots that wouldn't wash off. Like yours, they appeared flat, as if they were under the clear coat. So I attacked them with some camp-stove fuel (white gas) . They still didn't budge, but the solvent must have loosened them 'cause I came back a few hours later and got rid of them with spit and a tissue. (I'll send you a sample of my saliva if you like :p )

6. JoeyJoeJoShabadoo Jr

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    hahaha, i'll pass on the spit, thanks anyway paulccullen.

I got it worked out. I brought it to my bodyshop and he used some hand wax on it and it rubbed right off. He said it looked like acid rain damage. Basically some water with a slighly higher sulfur context lands on the car, the sun comes out and evaporates the water and, hence the sulfur content goes up and begins to damage the surface.

Lets all give a big thanks for the acid rain on the east coast due to coal burning power plants.