1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spots on windshield

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AKCMommy, Sep 13, 2007.

1. AKCMommy

AKCMommy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Recently, after a cool night and some morning mist/dew, I noticed that I have a lot of spots on my windshield and back hatch glass. They are from an eraser head to a nickel in size. You cannot see them then the glass is dry. I have tried windshield washer fluid, a microfiber cloth and stuff called Invisible Glass to remove them. Any idea what they are and how to get rid of them? It's sort of difficult to see when it is misty or foggy because of these spots.

TIA!

2. AKCMommy

AKCMommy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Recently, after a cool night and some morning mist/dew, I noticed that I have a lot of spots on my windshield and back hatch glass. They are from an eraser head to a nickel in size. You cannot see them then the glass is dry. I have tried windshield washer fluid, a microfiber cloth and stuff called Invisible Glass to remove them. Any idea what they are and how to get rid of them? It's sort of difficult to see when it is misty or foggy because of these spots.

TIA!

3. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AKCMommy @ Sep 13 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]512027[/snapback]</div>
    You've already tried what most will recommend. If its really morning mist/dew there should be no minerals in the water so it shouldn't spot. I will say I had hard water spots on mine, used the microfiber cloth and Invisible Glass and with a whole lot of hard rubbing it got most but not all off. However over time they did go away. I suggest you just wait a month and go through several car washings and see if it gets better.

4. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would suggest using something like dishsoap in water, and maybe a mild scrubber (Dobie pad).
    I had a couple of weird-shaped things on the INSIDE that would only show up if it was cool enough to need the defrost... I used Method glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth to scrub them off... and they needed scrubbing.
    I think that they are spots left from production... like a bit of oil or other lubricant (white lithium?).

5. AKCMommy

AKCMommy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know they are on the outside and are not from production. They weren't there until recently. And there are more than I can count. They look like raindrop splatters.

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AKCMommy @ Sep 14 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]512866[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe something that splashed up from the road?
    I'd still suggest dishsoap :)

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you think they are deposits of some kind, you can use a clay bar on glass.

8. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I noticed this same problem after switching to a windshield washer fluid containing Rain-X (silicone). Whenever there is light rain or condensation, the spots occur as the droplets dry. In my case, they lighten up when I clean the windshield with the washer/wiper system, but sometimes the marks remain faintly until the next good rain. They will obviously re-appear even after a thorough cleaning if the washer fluid is used again.

Is it possible you have this kind of washer fluid without realizing it? I find it does help when you're driving in rain or snow, but it also has this unfortunate side effect. If this is the case, make sure you're adding only "regular" fluid, and eventually the other stuff will get purged from the reservoir and lines.

- Doug

9. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Deposits of any sorts can also be cleaned with Baking Soda, and most likely found in one's pantry.

10. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DougSlug @ Sep 15 2007, 09:44 AM) [snapback]512977[/snapback]</div>
    I and a co-worker have found the same spots from Rain-x washer fluid. They are an irritant on an otherwise clean car. I went back to the cheap stuff...and no more spots.

11. b2nsx

b2nsx New Member

Try baking soda and if this does not work, you could get some stuff called "glass polish" from a window shop. But be careful because the stuff is mildly abrasive.

12. acdii

acdii Active Member

If you can find it, Rain-x Glass POLISH. Not the stuff you put in the washer tank or the stuff that smells like booze that you use to bead up water, but the stuff that is in a white bottle that is mildly abrasive and made to remove hard water spots. Works great for your issue.