1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spotted! 2008 Canadian Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I spotted my first 2008 Prius. It's easy to spot them in Canada because now all our 2008 Prius models are Touring Editions. It was a Driftwood Pearl - also a colour I don't see very often.

2. Rebeldoc

Rebeldoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 17 2007, 02:06 AM) [snapback]540858[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Tideland- -
    I just picked up my new Barcelona Red 2008 Prius! I'm in Toronto - I'm told it's the only 2008 red in Canada so far. Enjoying "playing" with it, and learning how to drive it properly

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rebeldoc @ Nov 17 2007, 09:05 AM) [snapback]540933[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, congrats on your new car and welcome to PriusChat!

sounds good. Do check our recently revamped Knowledge Base (KB) for extra tips and goodies. Of course feel free to ask if you have any questions.

You might wanna introduce yourself in the "newbie forum" or just jump right into a discussion.

Have a good one! I know I did when I first got mine. I was like a kid in a candy shop :lol:

4. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey Tideland,

You mentioned that all the 2008 Toyota Prius' sold in Canada are now Touring editions, presumably including the stiffer suspensions. Do you happen to know if Toyota have included the stiffer suspension on Standard Prius' sold here in the US?

It would explain some of the differences of opinion on ride quality some of us have been commenting on in these forums (fora?). Especially one who characterized the Prius ride quality as "Cadillac like". That certainly isn't my experience, although tire pressures have a lot of influence I suspect.

Cheers, Ron.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope. The US gets both the standard and Touring Edition so you get both suspension setup options.

Neither setting I would comment as "cadillac-like" not remotely close even with the standard suspension. There is no way you can tune a torsion beam rear suspension to the level of floaty.

The advantages of this torsion beam is that it's cheap to produce and very compact in design which allows more cargo space. The disadvantage is the poorer ride quality compared to a fully independent rear suspension. The "best" torsion beam setup I've sat in is the 1st generation Sienna. That ride was fairly comfortable (might have something to do with the heavier weight).