1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spotted a prototype hybrid ???

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by How Goes It, Apr 6, 2012.

1. How Goes It

How Goes It New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday I was in a rush to get home.
    I wish I could have taken time to follow the car I saw, that pulled into a gas station, but I did have something pressing to take care of.

First off, my brother owns a Prius and so does my niece.
    And I've been interested in them from early on.
    But I never saw a Prius, like I did yesterday.

This was not even close to a hatch back.
    And it definitely was not the newer 'station wagon looking' Prius.

What I saw had regular trunk with a regular rear window, like a sedan has. The rear window was fixed in place, as with something like a Corolla. And the trunk was like a Corolla would have, albeit quite short in length.

Before it pulled into the gas station, I was sitting behind it at the stop light waiting to turn left. I remember thinking --- " what in the world is that? I've never saw anything like that "

All that it said on the back of the trunk, was Toyota Prius Hybrid. No model or anything else.
    And this did not look like any other car I've ever seen, nor did it look like something modified in some shop.
    This looked exactly like something that came from a major car manufacturer.

Unfortunately, I did not have a smart phone with a camera, nor did I have my compact camera with me.

Weird thing is, about two weeks ago, I watched a show on t.v. about people who take pictures of prototypes. The person they interviewed was a lady that got into it by accident. One thing she mentioned was, that you could see these prototypes pop up anywhere. So I thought to myself --- yeah --- about how likely is that to happen to me. And now I see this ---- without a camera !!!!

Or did I just completely miss one model of Prius that everyone else knows of but me ?

2. Priushi

Priushi New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    That sounds like the 1st Generation Prius that looks sort of like a C.orolla. It was made from 2007 to 2001.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Huh? The 1st gen that we got was the NHW11. Pics can be seen at Toyota | 1999 - 2003 Toyota Prius (First Generation). It doesn't look like a Corolla at all. It looked a lot closer to the Toyota Echo of the time (Toyota | 2000-2002 Toyota Echo).

I've seen them numerous times on the road and know owners of them. Besides that, at one apartment complex I lived at for years, one of the residents who parked in front of my apartment owned one, so I'd see one daily.

4. How Goes It

How Goes It New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I believe that is what I saw cwerdna.
    Except it didn't have a spoiler on the trunk.

And I probably should have made myself more clear.
    I didn't mean to imply that the whole car looked like a Corolla.
    Just that the trunk and rear window area, loosely approximated that of something along the lines of a Corolla, rather than some kind of hatch back, or mini station wagon like the new Prius V.

Thanks for clearing that up for me cwerdna and Priushi.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just today, I saw at least two Gen 1s on the road.

Actually, within the span <30 minutes today, I was driving my Gen 2 and both a Gen 1 and Gen 3 were all within visual distance of each other. Once was in in a Home Depot parking lot. Gen 1 and Gen 3 were backing up to leave around the same time I was.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In Cali scenes like this are common. I am taking the picture from my GenIII.

[​IMG]

7. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    F8L - cool pic!

even see ya going 65mph

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!

Yeah, That is my normal commute speed. I was coming off a long steep hill so I had slowed down from 7--75mph. I travel at 60mph when I can but that seems to just annoy people. Speed is the main reason I cannot achieve high mpg numbers. Add in my long uphill commute and it's a recipe for 47-52mpg. :mad:

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, Summer Rain is a lot lighter than in other videos. It's almost as light as the Aqua Blue Metallic for the Gen 3

[​IMG]