1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Spotting" the GenIII: Differentiating the 2010 from the GenII

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by a priori, Aug 20, 2009.

1. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Identifying the GenIII on the fly is not always easy. I responded to a couple of posts in the Have you seen any GenIII's on the road? thread, and I thought it would make an interesting topic for a new thread. If you agree, please help me out.

I've thought of a few distinctives in the styling and look of the GenIII, as compared to the GenII, and I've listed the ones I believe are "easy" distinctives to be used in "spotting" a GenIII on the fly. Certainly you can tell the two apart when they are parked. If nothing else, the wheel covers tell the story right away. Also, the placement of the name badges in the back is easier to see when the car is still.

Perhaps others have found additional "easy" distinctives, but here's what I find:
    1. Head-on view. The GenII has fog lamps nestled in next to the lower grill. The GenIII has the fog lamps and parking lights together and separated from the grill. This is a very easy "spot."
    2. Rear-view. The spoiler is the quick clue for two reasons. The first is that the spoiler in the GenIII is a bit flatter than the GenII, which has a bit of an arch to it from side to side. The second is that the spoiler in the GenII is color-coded to the car. In the GenIII the spoiler is black. This is not a fail-safe method of detection, though, because the spoiler is black on GenII and GenIII black cars.
    3. Rear quarter view. The GenIII has more distinctive lines in the body, and the side line merges in the back with the point where the spoiler and taillight merge. This is a difficult "spot" unless you are both traveling in the same direction.
    4. Side view. There are two distinctives. The first and easiest is the antenna. The GenIII has a much shorter antenna than the GenII. The second distinctive is the raised line in the sheet metal. Perhaps a bit more difficult to see at speed, but noticeable when you become familiar with it.
    5. Another head-on view. The larger badge on the front (with the blue color in it) is not always easy to see at speed, but there is a subtle "bump" difference in the hood, leading to the badge.
    6. Another side view. The hump has been moved back, giving the GenIII less of an egg-shaped look and a bit more of a "wedge" look.
    Please add what you can.

2. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Gen III has a round Gas Filler door, where the Gen II has a squarish shaped one.

1 person likes this.
  3. gwenny

gwenny New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Doesn't the Toyota symbol have blue in it? Of course you'll have to get a bit closer to see it, but this is what I usually look for

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  5. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mark,

Thanks for providing the additional links. While I didn't see these threads in a quick search, I also don't know that my request is completely along the same lines. Pretty darn close, though! I really don't like it when people do not search and just start a duplicate thread. I really, really don't like it when I'm that person!

I was looking for a way to do a quick "spot" of a Gen3 while driving. At a standstill it is very easy to see the reflector lights v. projector lights or note that the side view mirrors are on the post (vs. door for the GenIII). While everyone is moving, it is more of a challenge. It also is the way most of us will encounter the GenIII -- or what we wonder is a GenIII.

6. iso13

iso13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A quick way is to check out the trunk. I believe the old models has that square button in back to open the trunk. Gen IIIs do not.

7. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The front is pretty easy. From the rear I think the older ones have a body colored spoiler whereas the new one is glossy black.

8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As someone who never cared for the look of the previous generations Prius, I can spot the GenIII right away.

9. Kapena Gary

Kapena Gary New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think that the shorter antenna is the quickest and easiest way to spot a 2010. The badge, when closer, is also easy.

10. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thread title reminds me of an interchange I had with a friend years ago. We were looking out at a lake with a boat slip, and a decoy owl mounted on a post to keep other birds away.

He looked out, pointed, and proclaimed "See that spotted owl!"

I said I saw the owl, but didn't know it was spotted, to which he replied "I just spotted it!"

:D

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GenIIs without SKS will have no black button on the rear either.

12. DrJon

DrJon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, open sunroof is dead giveaway for a III from any angle!

13. capek

capek New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For me it's all about the apex of the roof being further back in the Gen III versus the Gen II. It just gives the 2010s a much sportier look, and makes the previous models look "hunch-backed" in comparison.

14. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Rear: Gen III does not say "Toyota"

15. urlyadoptr

urlyadoptr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Funny, I was about to say "mine does," then I looked and lo and behold! (Except, of course, where it says Toyota on the cheesy license plate frame, which is coming off this weekend, along with the dealer's badge above "Prius!")

Attached Files:

16. danl

danl New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I've only seen the gen3 twice on the road so far, but the thing that caught my eye and clued me in that it wasn't the usual gen2 was was the rear tail brake lights were bigger.

17. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    They hardly need to add a "Toyota" badge when the big "T" blue-toned thingy is so BIG!

18. krisirk

krisirk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GenII does not have a keyhole for the hatch (and no hatchbacks do either as far as I know)

20. krisirk

krisirk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm probably wrong, but what is the hole to the right of the Toyota logo in the attached image for?

Kris

Attached Files: