1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spray Foam Insulation Kits

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by randreed, Aug 27, 2006.

1. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Off-topic, but this is an energy-aware group so . . .

I am considering using spray foam insulation in my crawlspace to seal and insulate the stone wall foundation, and under the flooring so the floor is no so cold in the winter. I'm wondering if anyone here has used any of these products, and if so what was the experience like?

The products I've found so far are:

- Tiger Foam - http://www.tigerfoam.com/products.php?cat_id=1
    - Handi-Foam - http://www.jrproductsinc.com/foam_kits.html
    - Touch 'n Seal - http://www.touch-n-seal.com/twocomp.htm
    - Froth Pak - http://www.dow.com/buildingproducts/frothpak/fp_180kit.htm

Here are the questions:

- Have you ever used any of these (or comparable) products?
    - How did you use the product (what did you insulate)?
    - Would you use the product again?
    - What would you do differently (if anything)?

Thanks,
    Rand

2. Loveit

Loveit New Member

Years ago, I was looking into using that around the crevices of our fireplace but for obvious reasons that was not recommended: it's highly flamable and can give off considerable toxic type fumes should it catch on fire or come near any heating elements. So check that out. If it won't pose that type of problem for you, you could consider using it. But, on the other hand since you are using a Prius car which helps out with the environment, you might want to consider other alternatives before using foam insulation.

3. randreed

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    These foams are intended for filling voids and are rated as fire retardent. I'm looking at foam due to the high moisture levels that has caused problems with other types of insulation in the past. I also need to cover about 1200 Square Feet.

The stuff you were looking at was probably expanding foam caulk, which I have used, and is highly flammable.

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have used "Great Stuff" foam insulator spray. man the stuff works great just don't spray to much as it really expands. It holds up well as long as it is not exposed to direct sunlight as the UV rays will cause it to break down.

I have used it for insulating around door jambs

5. randreed

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Aug 28 2006, 12:11 PM) [snapback]310566[/snapback]</div>

I've used that too and it works great for cracks and such - it's considered a "fast-rise" foam and it can and will warp wood frames if you put in too much.

The foam I'm looking at is also "fast-rise" but in two-components and a mixing sprayer for coverage over a much wider area. Iv'e seen it on "This Old House" being done by pros. These kits are for the DYI consumer, but so far I have not found anyone who has used them.

6. c4

c4 Active Member

Home Depot carries the two-component foam-in-a-box, but quite often it's tucked away in a back corner along with the professional grade spray foams (that come in those long 21" cans!), instead of out front with the consumer-grade stuff..

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How much headroom do you have in your crawlspace? I have visions of you being asphyxiated, or consumed by the foam as it expands out of control. It's nasty, toxic stuff. There must be a safer, easier, more sustainable way for you to insulate. With some venting, vapour barriers on the ground and the underside of the joists should take care of the humidity. Some non-pink fibreglass batts between the joists and some rigid foam glued to the stonework should hold the heat and make the floor above much more comfortable.

8. pstockley

pstockley New Member

If you have a lot of area to fill take a look at http://www.fomofoam.com/ I plan on super-insulating the home I am moving to next year so have done lots of research. These guys seem comparable in price to may professional polyurethane spray companies.

9. Mark nelson

Mark nelson New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey there,

Old thread and misplaced topic it appears but if anyone should happen upon this again, I thought I would add a bit of info about foam. Not all foam is made equal. In fact several manufacturers make at least two or three and often many different mixtures, densities and products designed for specific applications, purposes, and climates or temperatures.

Some foams are made for general purpose use (backfilling ditches to insulate underground pipes) and contain formaldehyde or blowing agents which are not friendly to the ozone layer or your lungs.

If you are looking for a product that you are going to put into your home - protect yourself, don't buy material unless it is certified (in Canada, by the Canadian Construction Materials Association), and created for use in residential applications.

Even if it is safe, not all foams are suitable for all applications. Low density foam is a great sound insulator but it absorbs moisture and is not an air barrier and thus is not the best thermal insulating product for walls. Two pound, medium density foam is an excellent thermal barrier with an R Value of 5 - 6 per inch of thickness, it is a recognized air barrier and a recognized vapor barrier. It does not settle, sag or move, bonds with the substrate onto which it is applied and is the best insulation material available.

Some installation companies, like EcoLogic Spray Foam Insulation in Vancouver, BC spray a next generation foam made with recycled plastic bottles and soya bean oil. This product with a significant amount of recycled/renewable content maintains the structural integrity and product characteristics of traditions foams while reducing the impact of foam creation.

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The right sprayed foam applied correctly is great stuff. If anyone does apply it, be aware that it's expansion ratio very sensitive to temperature. Too cool and you will go broke buying extra foam mix to finish the job, to warm and it will expand more than you want.

11. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had it done in crawlspace, made a world of difference
    I had company spray for me
    Check the local yellowpages, get an estimate before doing it yourself

12. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We hired the pros. Those kits are very expensive and you have to do it yourself. There was a local gas rebate of $750 and we get a federal credit. In the end cost us less than $1500 for a crawl space and our entire attic.