1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spray on Bra?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by AlphaTeam, Feb 24, 2006.

1. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I purchased a 3M bra from ebay. Before I bought it I asked if it fit a 2006 and he said yes. (Oh I work at a votech school that has an autobody dept)
    So the Autobody guys when to put it on and it didn't fit. I asked the seller and he said after I told him it didn't fit, he found out that his template was wrong for the 2006. So it might take a while for him to get a right one for me.

Anyway.....the autobody guys heard about a spray on version. It is a really hard clear coat that supposedly will protect against chips. Anyone hear about this? The good part is they can spray it on anywhere. Like the lower door panels and the bumper.

So I'm looking for others with experence with this.

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <bump> I would be interested in hearing more about this... sounds cool.. as cool as any other M3 protection.

3. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah but... you can peel the 3M product off.

4. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Oddly enough, I was just thinking about this. The plastic used in the 3M PPF is urathane. This plastic could be sprayed on to form a coating. But 3M also applies a clear coat to protect the surface of the plastic and give you a surface that will take a car wax and look shiny. I don't know how a spray-on urathane would handle waxing and the elements.

I'd be interested in which kit you got from ebay -- who was the seller?

5. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is not a 3M product. I was just saying as opposed to the clear 3M bra.

The seller is chipgardman. He is VERY nice, answered every question I had, and I had many. He says he will send me a replacement for the bad part. But the thing is, is that he doesn't have a template for a 2006 yet.

So I would definatly reccomend him, but he does not have the 2006 product yet.

Back on the subject of the spray on one. From what I understand it is like a think clear coat paint. So no there would be no easy way to get it off, it should be just like paint. You tape off a boarder around each piece. So I'd imagine it would look similar to the 3M product with the margins it has. I'm betting you could buff the edges of this though and make it look seamless.

I'd like to hear from someone who knows something about it. The autobody guys at my work know someone who has heard it worked good, but...that is a little to far down the line for my taste.

6. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Thanks for that info.

I got my 3M film kit from PPF Pro on Ebay. They have a pattern for the 06 and it fit pretty well. I did an OK job considering it was my first install. The bumper is quite a piece to install. The only thing that makes it a bear is that the bumper is done as one single piece. It stretches across the front of the bumper, wraps up to the lights, and has segments that wrap below to the bumper area below the main bumper. I got a couple of small wrinkles but not bad if I do say so. The hood, mirrors, and fender came out virtually perfect.

But, yes, it was a lot of work...

7. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was getting some products at a shop that sells detailing products to the trade. The guy mentioned he had ordered some special lights for a body shop so they could start spraying on a clear epoxy coat which needs either UV or infrared lights for curing. They haven't started painting yet.

Here's a site with some info, I'm not sure if this is the same one the detail shop guy was talking about.

http://armorcoat.armorauto.com/technicalinformation/