1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spray on Sound Deadening

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by BerkshirePrius, Aug 5, 2008.

1. BerkshirePrius

BerkshirePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well since I had the rear interior pieces out to install new springs and struts, I decided to tear it down a little further and apply spray on sound deadening material. One complaint I have about the Prius is the amount of noise heard in the cabin. I'll tell you I was a little leery about moving the HV battery, with all the warnings about death and all, but I got thru it unscathed :). Here are a few pics.

1. Interior stripped and masked off.
    2. Material sprayed.
    3. Another shot of finished product.
    4. One more...​
    For added deadening, I do plan on installing some FatMat over top of this material on some of the larger panels. Now on to the rest of the car...

Attached Files:

2. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Keep us posted.

How much spray did you get? Where from? How much does it cost?

Are you planning to do the wheel wells too?

3. BerkshirePrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I bought a couple gallons at about $80 a galloon from FatMat.com.
    Do you mean the underside of the wheel wells? If so I am going to spray them with a Stone Chip protector/sound deadener called Gravitex, by U-pol. I have been using this stuff for several years now and highly recommend it. -Al

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow really nice job. Great idea. Can't wait to see how it works. Do you have a DB meter? Before..after? Please keep posting!

5. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, I'm talking about the underside of the wheel wells. In your previous car(s), how much a difference did this make in reducing road noise?

6. BerkshirePrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have used it on two of my previous vehicles and several customer's cars.(I own a small custom work/fabricating shop). I have never tested before and after with a dB meter, but there is a noticeable difference, especially when driving in the rain and on rough pavement. IMO it is not the best stand alone deadoner, but it does enhance the effects of materials used inside the car, either spray on or mat.