1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

squeak chirp noise when going over bumps

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by flinttown, Jul 12, 2005.

1. flinttown

flinttown New Member

I had an annoying chirp like squeak noise which I thought was coming from the dash when I would go over most bumps. The dealer was no help and said it was a normal plastic on plastic noise. Thanks to prius-chat I was able to identify the source of the chirp since it appeared many others had this problem. It turned out my back seats were upright but not entirely engaged and latched. Moreover, the bar of the roll-up cover which hides contents in the trunk also needed to be adjusted. No more chirp.

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I don't know if I would call this a KB item, but we all could pitch in with various places we found sqeaks and rattles.

My Sunpass (EzPass, etc) holder holds the transponder in the middle, so the edges hit the windshield.
    The Homelink rear-view mirror sometimes squeaks where the assembly clams together. Perhaps a thin layer of hot glue or silicone sealer at the seam may help this.
    Also found a squeak that sounded like it came from the windshield/dash, but turned out to be CD jewel cases in the console rubbing together.

3. Sid

Sid New Member

DanMan32,
    Where do you have your SunPass mounted?
    I have E-ZPass, and have not mounted it yet. I have the auto dimming/HomeLink mirror (but have no garage) Also, I need another set of the velcro strips that originally came with the E-ZPass unit.
    What are those black dots on the windshield behind the rearview mirror for?

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I bought a suction cup mount for the older style (and I think more stylish) SunPass. Both I purchased from Publix. The suction cups are in the middle top and bottom, holding the transponder about 1/4 an inch off the windshield, so the transponder ends up rocking back and forth against the glass.
    I have it mounted just under the dots, but anywhere that's convenient will work. Many have said it works stored in the upper glove box.

I asked about the dots too. It is said to be a psudo-sun shield since the visors don't can't that area.

5. Sid

Sid New Member

Thank you for that info DanMan32!

6. cry4dawn

cry4dawn New Member

i found a squeak over bumps in the top half of the glove box. that slide in and out shelf would squeek. took it out sqeek is gone.

7. mstar

mstar New Member

I had the EXACT same problem. It drove me craaazy!

Yup, it the rear seats not being fully engaged.

The odd thing about the sound, is that is sounds like it's coming from the dash of the car, eh?

8. Danprius2011

Danprius2011 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My wife got my step son a 2011 prius hybrid and a few days after driving it my step son noticed the chirping noise when going over bumps. He doesn't have the bar that covers the trunk space in it. I also double checked the car jack to make sure it was fastened tightly and it didn't take care of the chirp. I pushed down on the back end and no sound. The trunk also seems to be closed just fine. I'm at a loss. Any thoughts?

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe post your question in a Gen 3 forum as 2011 is Gen 3. This is a Gen 2 forum.