1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squeak when pushing brake pedal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bill Lumbergh, May 27, 2010.

1. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all. I haven't been around much, since my Prius has been trouble-free.

A few days ago, while on a road trip from CA to CO, I noticed a loud squeak from the engine compartment every time I pushed the brake pedal, no matter how lightly, no matter what speed. It even happened when the car was off. I have almost 60K miles on my '05.

When I arrived in Denver, I dropped the car off at a Toyota dealer for troubleshooting. They isolated the fault to a bad ABS actuator. They had to overnight the part, and spent a day and a half installing it. Sounds like a major project!

I pick the car up tomorrow, hopefully it's all good. Thankfully I had the extended warranty offered here, otherwise it would have been major bucks! :)

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Bill,

Thanks for the update.

In the event that you didn't have the extended warranty, I would say that it would be reasonable to live with the squeak rather than pay four-digits to have the brake actuator replaced. There's no safety issue associated with the noise according to the relevant Toyota TSB.

3. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello once again!

I picked my car up today and all is well. I have a new ABS actuator ($1800+), new brake fluid, and everything is quiet again. I paid $990 for my extended warranty here, and the final bill to Toyota was $2525. I'm over $1500 ahead on my warranty!!

Hopefully that's the last issue I'll have. :D