1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squeaking axle and "loose" frontend

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by anthonylokrn, Nov 15, 2011.

1. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My '04 Prius is currently at 134k miles and I've noticed for a while that the front suspension feels and sounds "loose" over small bumps and imperfections on the road.

I also just started noticing some squeaking noise coming from the axle/hub when I first drive off in the morning.

I first thought the loose feeling could be worn out shocks, but I'm starting to worry that it would be something else.

No servicing has been done to the suspension as of yet.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Anthony

2. Simtronic

Simtronic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    I felt I need a strut brace due to poor handling especially in high winds and bumpy roads when I started to fit one I realized the top strut bolts were loose on one side, I have no idea whether the brace or bolt tightening are more responsible but the handling and odd noises are so much improved. I guess it might be worth checking all bolts are tight also check for any trace of oil at the struts under the car this might indicate a worn damper. I had a few of those on my old ford.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Way overdue for new struts if those are oem. Lots of posts about aftermarket struts.

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's a good approach, have someone put on a new pair of KYB, then if there is something else like a ball joint, wheel bearing, etc, they will find it.

1 person likes this.
  5. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great advice on the struts/shocks.

Now about the squeaking sound that I get in the morning. I notice that it only happens when I first drive off after sitting overnight, and it ONLY starts happening after applying the brakes. Now I know the front pad are almost due for a change, but this squeaking even continues while rolling and is intermittent, but the noise stops after less than 1/4 of a mile.

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Probably a sticky caliper. Might also be due to excessive brake dust in the drums.

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Take a peek at the rotors before you drive off in the morning and see if there's any streaks of rust.

8. rocketrob

rocketrob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not sure about this (maybe someone more knowledgable can comment) but could a failing CV cause the noise and 'looseness'?

It does tie together suspension and steering.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Possibly, especially if the noise 'speeds up' as the car does. No matter what, it's time to get your car to the shop. Failure of suspension and steering components can be dangerous, and not just for you.