1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squeaks and Smells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by toyoprius, Nov 24, 2004.

1. toyoprius

toyoprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    At 21,000 miles I finally have a couple of Prius quirks to puzzle over.

1) For the last couple of months I've been hearing a distinct "sloshing" sound originating from (I think) the passenger dash or door area. The sound is short in duration, maybe a second or two, and occurs upon sudden movement of the car. I typically hear it when I move from a dead stop. The "sloshing" sound could be liquid, but it almost sounds like sand shifting, or the sound you hear if you play with a beanbag.

2) Also, the ventilation system smells distinctly stale and moldy when I turn it on. This may or may not be related to #1.

Is there some place in the ventilation system where water could collect and be sloshing around? Or has anyone else experienced a similar situation?

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't know about water collecting, but you could check the air filter behind the glove compartment(box) to see if it smells and needs to be replaced.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The condensate drain for the air conditioner may be plugged. This needs to be resolved, but it should be relatively fast and cheap for a dealer to do.

If you bought rustproofing, an uglier possibility is that the installer screwed it up and plugged some of the weep holes for water in the frame. Have someone else check this out and if that's the case then raise bloody hell with the installer.

4. toyoprius

toyoprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think that's it! I just ran the air conditioner (it's pretty damp outside) and didn't any dripping below the car.