1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squeaks From Rear Interior - I Stopped 2 of Them - Rear Seat and Hatch Door

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by John Kinney, Dec 26, 2014.

1. John Kinney

John Kinney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Squeaks From Rear Interior
    I Stopped 2 of Them
    Rear Seat and Hatch Door
    (Bonus Rattle Stop at the bottom of Post)

QUICK ANSWERS:

1. Rear Folding Seats, just reset them firmly.
    2. Put Duct Tape over rubber Rear Hatch Door (while open) rubber "thingys" on either side. Clean off first so tape sticks better. Mine have been on for 1.5 years.
    3. Bonus rattle - Rear License plate rattle - SEE BELOW

LONG ANSWERS (CAUSE I'M BORED OUT OF MY MIND):

Out of the blue one day this annoying squeak started from behind me while driving in the car.
    Only heard it on "rougher" surfaces over 25 MPH or so.
    I Googled (the problem and came up with the a potential problem.
    BTW: I hope they don't start charging for Google someday. I would go broke and feel real stupid again.
    The recommendation was to try firmly slamming the rear folding seats shut.
    I tried this, and it worked. One squeak gone.

A month or so latter I heard a different squeak, I knew it was different, I could just tell it was a different pitch, more of a high "E" if you will. The other squeak was a high "G", really annoying.
    This new squeak was the kind I could live with, almost enjoyable, so I let it go.
    After all I only heard it when the radio was low volume.

Here's the problem, it was quieter, but relentless.
    My OCD could no longer take it, so one week later, the decision was made.
    "IT HAD TO GO."

I Googled again (or as I told my son, used my "keen" senses), and eventually found this possible issue, "The Rear Hatch Door". So I painstakingly removed the entire Rear Hatch Door, every screw, every gasket, it took HOURS.

No, Just kidding I had something to else try first, then I would remove the hatch door.

I open the Rear Hatch Door and cleaned out the dirt, I love those blue "heavy duty" paper towels from the local car place. One point of potential "SQUEAKINESS" (Sorry, public school education) was the 2 rubber "thingamabobs" on each side of the door. Looking at either side under the door while it's opened. I couldn't see anything "squeaky". I tried to simulate driving by rocking car back and forth with Rear Hatch Door closed. This didn't work, a matter a fact this never seems to work. But, nevertheless I always try this method first.

I tried some other things to recreate the noise, I couldn't hear anything. Most likely SQUEAKER was HIDING now. (Sorry very tired now, I ate my weight in Christmas Ham yesterday).

As the middle aged father I am, I persevered... with the focus and dedication of a team of grade school engineers....

I opened the Rear Hatch Door again.
    I kept thinking that there rubber "thingys" had to be the issue.
    What to do. It has sadly come to this, I have 2 methods of repair, duct tape or hammer.
    (Maybe glue sometimes, I love glue)
    So I immediately ruled out the hammer because I was unable to get enough back swing.
    So I decided to use "DUCT TAPE" !
    Can I tell you, I love using DUCT TAPE.
    I love the sound, I love the texture, the smell, the simplicity and most of all the price!
    NOTE: I once did '89 TOYOTA TRUCK body work with duct tape, then painted over with RUSTOLEUM. This fix job lasted YEARS, I mean 8+ Years.

A little tip for those going with the suggested duct tape repair. Go with the more expensive brand, the thicker tape. My master level expertise in duct tape suggests one down from the most expensive brand.
    (unless the wife is with you - in that case grab the cheapest tape you can find, and say out loud, "Boy am I saving a bundle of money buying this cheaper brand". One more thing, don't forget to raise your eyebrows, so as to look happy about the amazing bargain.

Then when you've lost her in the paint isle (another PRO tip), quickly make the SWAP for the better quality tape. Trust me on this one. A cheap duct tape is canned spray cheese compared to aged cheddar.

OK, once armed with a quality DUCT TAPE (the application may outlive you) apply about a 5 inch strips to each of these rubbers things. I actually put 2 on on each.
    NOTE: Make sure this area is super clean, dirt and grease are the enemies of DUCT tape.

Now enjoy a "squeak free" rear hatch door.

Here's a PIC of the 2 rubber things.
    Slightly about halfway up the photo, you will see to black rubber things in the rear hatch opening on either side. Just slab some duct tape on these bad boys. I have not heard a sound since.

[​IMG]

PS - A bonus fix is the rattling rear license plate if you have a "HEAVY" license plate holder like I used to have. (for example designer Chrome). The fix here was to get a cheaper light weight license plate holder that stays flush to the car. You do not want license plate standing away from body of car. This only makes it easier for it to rattle. PRO TIP FIX: Find lightweight license plate holder that mounts flush. Additionally apply soft rubber (not hard rubber) "sticky bumper pads".
    (clean everything first.) See pic of bumper pads.
    BTW: The hard ones still make a noise but the soft one really work much better. Softer the better. (Keep spares in glove box in one falls off, I lost one so far.)
    You will know when you lose one, because the rattle will start again.
    [​IMG]

69shovlhed and dannybjax like this.
  2. dannybjax

dannybjax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Love your post. Actually thought it was hilarious. Had my daughter drive the car last night while I rode in the back seat and I think this is my problem. Wonder if you could apply the tape the hatch or would it only work if you applied it to the rubber things? Also - did you try a lubricant first? Did that help? Gonna try this tonight.

3. Samuraidog

Samuraidog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for posting this. It helped me narrow down a squeak/rattle in my Prius. Apparently, these "thingys" are referred to as "Lift Gate Cushion" by Toyota. I'll check the price at the dealer tomorrow and if not too expensive, I'll just buy new ones.
    The ones mounted on the liftgate itself are apparently called "Lift Gate Stopper."

4. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you’re still online, where did you get that rear cargo net?

Autobon7 likes this.
  5. Samuraidog

Samuraidog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I sprayed some Blaster silicone lubricant on both rubber pieces and it seems to have eliminated the squeak/rattle. If the squeak comes back, I'll apply some rubber-safe silicone grease (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Danco-Grease/1092167).
    If the squeak comes back yet again, I'll try the OP's trick with the duct tape.

6. Autobon7

Autobon7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Would like to know as well.....

7. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That net looks interesting. A while back I bought one from Toyota that came with the two upper mounting D-Ring push pins. Part number PT347-47040

Works fine but smaller than the one shown here.