1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squeaky/Grinding Brakes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nikki&petey, Apr 17, 2009.

1. nikki&petey

nikki&petey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When driving my prius this morning, about 7 miles into my commute I started to hear a very obvious noise that I first thought was a belt squeaking. Well when I rolled down my window to hear it better it was definately coming from the front left tire. Sounded like something was stuck and squeaking. Then I made a right hand turn and it made a horrible grinding noise/feeling. I have it at the dealer right now. Anyone else have this happen to them? The car has a little over 45000 miles on it and my husband and I have only owned it for about 2 months. I so did not need this news today. We just found out last night that my husbands last day of work is the 8th of May.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It would help if you updated your profile. Right now it says that your car is an "other non-hybrid". Is your Prius a Gen I or Gen II? From the miles, I suspect Gen II.

Squeaking and grinding noises can be brakes, bearings, or CV joints. The fact that it increases when turning suggests bearings or a CV joint. Either way, your dealer will be able to tell you.

Tom

Meg&Bear likes this.
  3. nikki&petey

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the reminder to update my profile. I made my profile before we had bought our car. It is an 07 touring edition.

4. nikki&petey

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Good news. It was a freaky occurance that a rock got lodged between the brake and rotor. The guys took it out and we are good to go. Thank goodness.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  5. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    That is wonderful news! I would have bet on the CV joint.

Best wishes,

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actually, the "rock stuck in the caliper" has come up before

7. BMcGraw

BMcGraw Member

I'm glad to hear (well, sorry about your similar experience) that someone other than myself had the same thing happen to them. I thought I was the only one! Power Toyota of Buena Park, California (don't go there) told me that contamination in my brake fluid caused the calipers to lock up ruining the rotors and discs. Due to it being "contaminated" it was under warranty. My prius only had 29K miles on it and no one had ever opened the brake reservoir that I know of.
    The bill was just over $2100! They also suggested that I get the rear brakes replaced along with the "actuator" - just to be on the safe side. That would only be an additional $4000! I opted to get the hell out of there and not go back! CROOKS I TELL YA!

Please let us know what the outcome is. And let's hope you and I are the only ones that got attacked by this "brake bug".

Meg&Bear likes this.
  8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wow .... holy f***. Yeah, I guess they are ....

9. nikki&petey

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well they charged us 56 bucks for labor and told us we were good to go. We maybe drove another 2 miles on it to get it to the shop so there was no wear on the rotors or anything. We drove it all weekend and haven't had a problem.

Meg&Bear likes this.