1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squeaky right dash and sound deadening.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by OlsonBW, Jul 1, 2010.

1. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

I tried search for posts about the squeaky rattling right side dash for the 2nd gen Prius but I apparently don't know what words to put in. I tried several variations …

I have a 2007 Prius Tour version. The right side of the dash squeaks and rattles. No news to anyone on this board. I've seen posts complaining about it and people trying to figure out what is causing it, but I never found a post saying what the fix is.

So … did anyone find the fix?

I found other posts about sound deadening so never mind about that.

2. v redhawk

v redhawk New Member

I don't know about a proper fix, but I did find a good work-around. I got some soft black 1/4" closed-cell foam, the stuff used for ESD protection for electronic components. Sliced off a 1/8" chunk (final dimensions 1/8" x 1/4" x 3") and stuffed it into the space between the top of the dash and the trim near the side window. No more squeaks. And I figure, being soft foam, it's not likely to hurt very much if ejected due to airbag deployment. And it's black, so I don't even see it.

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just stick a piece of foam into the crack(s) you think it's squeaking from. That's what I did.

For me the squeak/rattle was coming from the A-frame (around the front porthole window), specifically, where the bottom of the A-frame plastic meets the dash plastic. Common place. Check that out.

Another common place is the MFD, fortunately I have not encountered a problem there, because I dont know how I would fix that (i.e., can't find a crack to seal)