1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squeal of Mystery...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ejnel, Apr 5, 2005.

1. ejnel

ejnel Junior Member

Three weeks into the Prius Experience, the first glitch from my new baby -- a VERY high pitched LOUD squeal, emmanating from what seems to be deep within the dashboard, along with the sound of something trying -- and failing to spin up. Thought it might be CD, but nada -- and car runs fine. Of course, when I brought car into service, NO sound could be heard, so they waved me out. Noise has not reoccured, but this disturbs me greatly.

I'm stumped.

Any idea of what this could be? NO warning lights appeared -- could it be AC related?

Baffled in LA,
    Erik

2. DanP

DanP Member

This happens when IRPD (internal rodent propulsion device) fails. Just slip a snake behind the dash to clear out the old device. A few weeks later, when the snake has moved out, slip in a new Toyota-approved hamster (or a higher-performance rat). Good as new.

P.S., Sorry I could not be useful.

3. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't want to work on your car,Dan! I don't want any suprise animals jumping out at me, :lol:

As for your noise,Erik, I have not ran across any of my customers Prius' making any similiar noises. Maybe under the hood,belt noise, :roll:
    Will be hard for the techs to find the source until they hear it. Maybe keep a note of when it happens; climate control settings, temp outside, just started engine or at normal operating temp, etc. That may give them a little more clues where to look. But maybe not, noises sometimes are hard to track.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I am suspecting the cabin fan motor. Maybe a leaf got stuck in the squirrel cage. If the noise starts, see if it stops if you turn off the HVAC.