1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

squealing during braking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by belhai, Apr 10, 2008.

1. belhai

belhai Zebadoh

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I purchased a 2008 Prius in March. I have about 2500 miles on it and I noticed a squeal when I braked last night. It did not happen often. In fact, my wife drove the car today and heard it once during her entire trip. So it's not something that happens everytime I break. Is this something I should get checked out now or bring it up when I get the first oil change at 5000 miles?

Thanks,
    Brandon

2. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    sure you could bring it up but betcha its just breake dust.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Brandon,

I suggest you try washing the front disc brakes with a strong blast of water next time you wash the car. Then drive the car to get the water off, shifting into N before braking to force the friction brakes to work & dry off. See if that helps to eliminate the brake squeal.

If not, wait for the squeal to get to the point that you can demonstrate the noise to your dealer's service advisor, then take the car in.

4. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    the N thing works wonders!

like patrick said, wash the drum with high pressure, or water hose. But this is what I would do, get your air compressor out and blow the water off, and out of the brake's. Or just drive it, either will work

and yes if this keep's up bring that sucker in pronto, is it the same noise that a normal car would make when pad's are worn? the buzzer type sound that let's you know your stuff is fubar..

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bet you don't garage the thing. The morning dew will rust up the wheels pretty good. THis car is unique with the regenerative braking assist so pads & rotors last 3 times longer that a normal car. The brakes hardly ever engage like a regular car hence there will always be a little rust on the rotor unlike a normal car. Look at the rotors after a long run. There rusty! I bet new car owners will have a squeeking issue once in a while because there probably driving real slow and calm everywhere and not blowing the rust off enough. Mine did it at first too. After you have the car a while and are back driving like a maniac like everyone else you'll be burning the rust off real quick.:D