1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squealing noise from speakers when 12v port is in use.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Garethh, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Garethh

Garethh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi everybody!

I bought this today. It has to be plugged into the 12v port in order to work; it has no battery in it. BUT when I plug it into the 12v ports (i tried both), this annoying squealing noise comes from the speakers. How can I get rid of this noise completely?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Any gadget that connects both to car power and to audio aux in is likely to couple switching-power-supply noise into the audio. A ground loop isolator (something like this) often helps a lot.

-Chap

3. SunDevilDrake

SunDevilDrake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I used a ferrite choke on my aux cable. It's cheap at $2 and installs in two minutes. Placed it with double sided tape on the inside of my center console so it doesn't rattle around or get in the way. Circuit city use to carry these. Can be bought at local electronic store, but not best buy

[​IMG]

4. Garethh

Garethh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you both for your inputs. I have a question. Both of those are plugged into the audio cable. The noise in my car only comes when power is plugged in. So shouldn't i do something about the power port instead of the audio input or cable? I am really just asking. I have no experience in these things.

Thanks!

5. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    the ground loop isolator will remove the noise going into the aux port. it works.

6. Garethh

Garethh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I will try it. Thank you all!

7. SunDevilDrake

SunDevilDrake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It's the aux picking ground loops from the phone charger. Would be logical to attack what could be the source of those ground loops but it's found to be most effective to reduce the "squealing" is the two methods above applied to the aux.

I chose the ferrite choke because I heard some people complain about reduce noise quality when using the ground loop isolator. Plus the choke was cheaper and took up less room in the glove box.