1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squealing seemingly from front end, maybe right side

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2023p, Aug 27, 2023.

1. 2023p

2023p Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    20k miles ish. Was difficult to capture audio/video as the sound is faint.

Seems to only happen, from cold starts(maybe), 0-15 mph maybe at most.

Seems interment. Thought maybe control arm, brakes, belt.. but I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

Not sure what else to say.

Anyone else had this type of noise and conditions? On any hybrid or Prius or specifically the 5th gen.

It's varying high pitch tone, can't imagine it's the brakes.. butttt logic says.

There a way to test drag? Or just have brakes checked under warranty? Or something

Thought about shifting into neutral the next time I heard it happening to hear if it stop making the noise suddenly. But not really sure what that might mean if true.

Thanks.

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    While the noise is present, step on the brakes.....firmly.
    If the noise changes significantly, get them checked.

It is not unusual for disc brakes to have a slight squeal before the first stop after sitting unused overnight.

There likely also are "wear indicators" on the pads that are SUPPOSED to make a squealing noise when the pads
    are worn down.

NOTE: Since you mentioned warranty......by all means have it checked AND DOCUMENTED by the dealer sometime soon, just incase it actually fails after the warranty expires.

2023p likes this.
  3. 2023p

2023p Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Thank you Sam!