1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squealing when slowing / braking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mormegil, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Mormegil

Mormegil Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    From doing searches on this forum, I understand you can get some squealing while braking from rust build up on the drums (or maybe discs).

I noticed a squealing noise when braking slowly, while way over 7-8 mph. At that point, it's typically the regenerative braking, and not the conventional friction brakes.

Is it possible the rust could be causing squealing under such circumstances?

I've got a 2007 with about 19,000 miles on it and my wife tells me I drive like a granny - so I doubt it's premature brake pad wear.

Thanks

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A faint, high pitched whine, faint enough that you may not be certain it's there, is the normal inverter noise.

Does it disappear at low speed, or get louder/worse? I assume that you know or can guess what it sounds like when a rock is stuck in the brakes :_>

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If it's not the normal regenerative whine, then you could have rust, a stone, or a mis-adjusted rear drum. Have you tried shifting into N and then braking? That will take regeneration out of the question. You can also use that technique to clean the brakes. Find a clear stretch of road, take it up to 40 or so, shift into N, and then brake until you slow down to 10 or 20. Repeat that a few times and see if the noise goes away.

The rear drums are self adjusting, but it is possible for the adjustment to get messed up. Have you suffered a reduction in fuel mileage?

Tom

4. Mormegil

Mormegil Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    I'll give that a try tommorow (the neutral braking).

Thanks