1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squeek!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by monkeypox, Jun 22, 2006.

1. monkeypox

monkeypox New Member

Hi
    Hey my new Prius with 1200 miles on it has this really lound SQUEEK that when going over bumpy road I get this really loud Squeek, and I can not pin point it!. it is like it moves in stereo. Has any one besided me have any rattles or Squeeks?????
    Thanks
    Monks
    This is driving me crazy and the thought of the dealer taking every thing apart well just scares me :huh:

2. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The three things I always check when I hear a rattle (since I can't always hear where it comes from):

1. The shelf in the upper glove compartment.

2. The sunglasses holder

3. The sun visors (they rattle annoyingly if not firmly in their place).

I haven't heard anything that squeaks, but maybe what I call a rattle would be a squeak to you....

3. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I had a squeak when mine was new which finally went away when I went to the trunk and tookout the plastic insert that covers the spare tire and put it back in and made sure all tabs and slots were aligned properly.

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a similar squeek when I hit a bump, though not always. I can't tell if its front or rear, but I think its front suspension somewhere. I cured a similar problem on another car by spraying silicone lubricant anywhere I could see parts touching on the front strut. I'm too lazy now, and I've heard it maybe 5 times in 11,000 miles. Good luck with yours. Please share the solution if you find it.

5. monkeypox

monkeypox New Member

I will share when I track it down.. it is driving me crazy and to solve the short turn problem i just up the volume :) thanks for the info all...
    Monks

6. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(monkeypox @ Jun 22 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]275471[/snapback]</div>
    I had a squeak in the passenger seat (when it was unoccupied). I took it in and the shop did something to the retaining pins. Seemed to solve it for a while, but it's back now. Not as bad as before, but definitely there. Guess I'll have them try again next time it's in the shop.

Apparently this is a problem widespread enough to require a maintenance bulletin.

7. anj48

anj48 New Member

I had a similar squeak, drove me crazy for weeks. Finally removed the pull out cover for the rear storage and replaced. Squeak gone.

8. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a squeak I couldn't find for a long time. My wife finally found it when she was in the car one night. It ended up being the rear view mirror. To make the squeak stop, all I have to do is squeeze the mirror.

9. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I tracked a squeak down to the fold down handle right above my head on the driver's side. No matter what I do I can not get it to go away (it squeaks whenever you touch it!). Why does that handle exist anyways? We always called it an "oh shxt" handle for the passenger...but why have it on the drivers side?

10. monkeypox

monkeypox New Member

Wow, All good starting points for me to look at today when I get home from work! Thanks all and I will post when I find this elusive Squeek! :blink: ... Thanks for the help all :D
    Monks B)

11. Heavy

Heavy Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(monkeypox @ Jun 23 2006, 02:20 AM) [snapback]275705[/snapback]</div>
    someone else told me to check the back seats and make sure they are locked in place, that easy and my squeek is gone. it only happened when i went over a bump.

12. Steve-in-NJ

Steve-in-NJ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jun 23 2006, 12:41 AM) [snapback]275656[/snapback]</div>
    BOTH HANDLES ON MY 2006 squeek like crazy but intermittently. I grab the handle, pull it down once or so and it stops for a while

In Winter, my passenger seat sounds like two pieces of styrofoam rubbing against each other.

I complained last spring but got the "I can't hear anything" response and the "No one else ever complained about this" response.

Got the same response with regards to the front center speaker (especially on AM talk). Am I the only one, or is the super duper JBL upgraded sound system about the worst upgraded sound ever.

Got a few other random buzzes & rattles when the conditions are just right.

I will try the dealer again this coming winter cause I just don't have time to bother now.

In spite of all the above (& the stupidest nav / alert system made), absolutely love the car.

13. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jun 22 2006, 09:41 PM) [snapback]275656[/snapback]</div>
    'because some other parts of the world drive on the other side, like in 'Engaland do' and also in Nippon-land B)