1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squilling from rear of car

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Doug2001, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Doug2001

Doug2001 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Some days in the mornings there is a squalling sound that comes from the rear of the car. It only last for a few minuets and only happens at low speed under 20 mph. Once it stops it dose not come bake until the car has set for a long wile like 8+ hours or over night. Any ideas on what might cause this

2. AMP

AMP April 2012

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

I am not sure this is it, but there is a vent that opens after the car has been sitting. I think it opens to vent the battery. I remember seeing a description of it on Prius Chat fourm. On my V it happens a minute or so after I start driving, and it is kind of a groaning sound. It lasts for less than a minute and is normal. It is more noticeable in cold weather.

Hope this helps.

3. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes there is a vent from the passenger area to the battery area but I don't think it has the ability to open and close...
    may be wrong ; possibility someone will chime in..?

4. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Didn't the Wagon have problems with rear brake squealing when it was first released?

5. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Occasionally after sitting overnight there is a noise from the rear discs when first moving...slight pressure on the foot brake for a short period and the noise stops....

6. varun

varun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes I had same issue this weekend, was planning to discuss with service manager .

Nexus 7 ?

7. titikaka

titikaka New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had this problem and found the solution on these forums. I can't paste the link, but search "prius v rear break noise fix"

I took my 2012 Prius V into the dealer after hearing this noise. They kept it overnight to replicate the noise, but they didn't hear it (we've had warm weather lately). They have ordered the parts and will be making the repairs anyway per bulletin T-SB-0081-13.

I would take the bulletin number with you to the dealer.