1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SR with shark fin?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by hlkc, Feb 16, 2010.

1. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've solar roof. Will the shark fin base too close to the solar roof if I choose to use shark fin antenna? Anyone installed shark fin with SR? If so, can you share a picture here? Thanks.

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Regarding the shark fin antenna, the PriusChat Store says:

"Available for 2004-2010 Toyota Prius
    • Except, the shark fin is not compatible with 2010 Prius with the solar sunroof package."
    So I think you're out of luck.

3. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Understood and I think it is going to be close and I hope someone here might done that and can share a picture. Thanks.

4. SDM44

SDM44 Señor Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got my shark fin today. If somebody in the LA area has a solar panel roof Prius and wants to see how this will fit (just need to unscrew the antenna and place over the top of the base), let me know. Then we'll know if what type of clearance issues (if any) there is with the solar panel.

5. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for doing this. Wish in LA to fit this.

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would take the PriusChat Shop's word that the current Visual Garage Shark Fin antenna will not fit on a 2010 Prius with the Solar Roof.

Danny, the founder and administrator of PriusChat, tested it out himself on his own 2010 Prius with Solar Roof:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-accessories-modifications/62412-sharkfin.html

7. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2 people like this.
  8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Ken. Great photos.

Yes, that Japanese shop shark fin antenna is expensive at around $175 USD.

In comparison, the Visual Garage shark fin antenna is $74 USD delivered.

I wonder if Visual Garage will ever get around to making a smaller shark fin. They certainly don't need all that space in order to put in their 1/4 wavelength antenna wire (as it is, they use less than 1 side of their current shark fin for the antenna wire):

[IMGLINK]http://priuschat.com/forums/attachments/gen-ii-prius-audio-electronics/16108d1246343772-sharkfin-question-can-i-add-copper-p1060157.jpg[/IMGLINK]

I actually think that the Visual Garage shark fin antenna looks pretty good extending over the 2010 Prius Solar Roof panel. But I wonder if it will seal properly between the roof metal and the Solar Roof panel.

9. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Considering the number of people bitching their FM reception SUCKS, I would think this is the LAST thing they need to add to the system to further screw up the received FM signal. Cool is Cool, except when it interferes with RF!!

10. SDM44

SDM44 Señor Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I getting another paper-thin wave length antenna that I'm going to stick into my shark fin antenna cover and see if that helps. I can just solder into the existing points in there. I won't be able to give a 'before & after' test unless I just try it out stationary in my garage/driveway, since I don't want to attach the shark fin and then take it back off to put the 2nd antenna in there.

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually did what you're talking about. I doubled the length of the original antenna wire, turning it into a 1/2 wavelength antenna. I took an equal length of antenna wire, folded it into a fractal pattern similar to the original wire, taped the new antenna wire onto the other side of the sharkfin, and taped (not soldered) the exposed ends of the two wires together:

[IMGLINK]http://priuschat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21792&d=1266423301[/IMGLINK]

In my limited testing before I permanently installed the shark fin, I could not detect any improvement from my doubling of the antenna wire.

But I also could not detect any detriment from the doubling itself (the shark fin does decrease reception, but doubling the shark fin's antenna wire apparently did no additional harm).

So figuring that it couldn't hurt, I permanently installed the shark fin with the doubled antenna length.

Check out this thread on the subject: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...41470-sharkfin-question-can-i-add-copper.html

Attached Files:

• 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      149.6 KB
      Views:
  12. SDM44

SDM44 Señor Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the pic and the info. Now that I think about it, I'm going to try and use some copper from an RG6 (or RG59) coax cable, and try soldering it instead of using tape. I know this type copper works picking up FM signals well because I use the same thing at home on my home stereo (it has a coax input for the antenna, so I just took a piece of cable and scripped the insulation off the copper wire and left that exposed - that made a huge difference in my reception and I pick up lots of FM stations very good). However, when I extend the copper wire in length it picks up signals better. I'm curious to see how it would do if I curled up the wire into a smaller bunch. I'll probably test it out tonight if I have some time, and also test out 'rolling' or coiling up the copper wire on my home stereo as well.

EDIT: I tried about 20" of copper wire from an RG6 cable. I flattened the end and soldered it to the node where the other antenna was on the board. The thing was I couldn't tell if the reception was any better because the reception with the shark fin only was good enough for all of the stations I want to listen to in LA. I did however test the stations out by just unscrewing the stock antenna and driving around. Most of the stations still came in just fine, a couple with some noise/static. When I put the shark fin on (no extra copper), it made all of the stations come in clear, including the ones that had static before... no more static/noise with the shark fin. Now I live in the LA area so RF signals are pretty strong from station. I've been able to pick up the same radio stations just fine in my Land Cruiser, and I keep the antenna retracted at all times in that. If I go out to a rural area, then I'm sure I would notice a difference.

13. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ken,

As people said, picture worth million words and it sure is in this case. I will not touch the VG one and I really like the carbon one and no need to paint. My worry is some kids will just rip them off and put it in their car... most likely I am going to do the Japanese one and let them paint it before shipped. Thanks again!

14. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

As Boo stated, it did little to help, NICE JOB by the way adding to the antenna making it 1/2 wavelegnth!!
    As far as using braid from RG-59 or foil, COPPER is COPPER! RF does not care, as long as the mechnical bond is solid and the solder connection is good!!