1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SS&E Prevents Loss of Keys!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ryogajyc, Oct 1, 2004.

1. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I drove my Prius out to my mailbox on the way to work to pick up mail. I left the car on in park, and got my mail. When I came back to my car, an orange missing key icon was flashing at me. Then I realized in my morning grogginess, I had left the keys in the mailbox lock which was still unlocked! :oops: SS&E helped prevent me from losing my keys, which was kind of a neat side "feature". I was rather amused at this rather unusual way my smart Prius prevented me from bumbling. :p

2. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    now that's a smart key! :wink:

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm that is supposed to tell you the engine immobilizer is working...at least that is what i was told on another thread...

i think its the car scanning for the fob. funny that the engine immobilizer would be engaged in a running vehicle...

very funny...

4. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You are confusing the flashing red car icon with the orange key with a slash icon. The former is the immobiliser and the later is the key out of vehicle icon. The later only works with the Prii equiped with SE/SS.( I know the new name is SKS but I like the old one.).

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really don't get why the car still works if the fob isn't in.. you can start it.. leave the key.. and all it will do is blink at you... car still works fine.. just don't shut it down. hehe... i first though the car wouldn't shift or something cool.. but, it did and i was disapointed.

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oic...

well i dont see... anyone got a pic?

7. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sure... hmm.. i post it on next post * runs outside with camera *

8. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok.. here it is.. if you leave your car.. the car will beep 3 times telling you it's on and you have the key.. well.. if you leave the key someonewhere and come back when it's still on.. it will do this.. i didn't pay attention if it beeped or not.. hmm... someone else can do that test... oh yeah.. the MAINT REQD is because my first oil change is due.. they are trying to charge me 50 bucks for a filter though!

[Broken External Image]:http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/444760/nokey.jpg

9. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It uses to SE/SE Fob drive me crazy! My bad habit but I wont attach the fob to key chain. So on the way to garage (400yard a way form my Condo) I found out I left the Fob in my Cond, and I have to go back to get it :roll: Now I attached the fob to my cellphone.... because I need to have both of them everyday :mrgreen:

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    cool ty for pic.

as i dont have SE, i dont think i have that light on my car.

11. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don't be a penny wise and a pound foolish. CHANGE the oil before you are overdue. Toyota engines are notorious for developing oil gelling problems when the oil is not changed as recommended. Do you really want to risk having to pay thousands of dollars for engine repairs because you were too cheap to pay for an oil filter?

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i changed mine at 5000 miles and i didnt have a problem in fact, my next change according to the sticker they put on my windshield is due at 17,910 miles...ummm can we say OOOPS....

13. prius04

prius04 New Member

V8Cobrakid

You were wondering about the car still working with the FOB out of it. This is actually a safety feature and I wouldn't be surprised if it were required by law.

Picture driving in heavy traffic at high speed and the car somehow sensed that the FOB was no longer in the car and it disabled itself. This could happen if the FOB were placed in a metal box somehow, the batteries died or someone threw the FOB out the window. In fact, I was showing someone how the car worked once and I placed the FOB on the dashboard. I got the "no key" flash on the panel. So even inside the car there are spots where the SS/SE doesn't find the FOB.

Driving at 60 MPH in heavy traffic is not the time to find out that some disablement is taking place.

Oh, another thing. In a past post someone mentioned how this FOB offers some protection in the event of a carjacking. The argument was that the thief could steal your running car, but as soon as they shut it off they were stuck.

But if you exit the car and that "no key" thing flashes, the thief may catch on and put your life at risk. Personally, I might be inclined to chance it should such a thing ever happen, heaven forbid. But some may not. So either run like hell when they get in your car, or be prepared to hand over the FOB.

14. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good example.. hmm.. true.. i keep forgetting all the little safety features on this car.. it's so proper.. hehe

I would run like hell.. say " ok.. here's the car".. if they ask.. " you have to get in, put your seatbelt on, and put the car into drive for that to turn off"... let them close the door.. then run like hell! :guns: :mrgreen: