1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SSC-50P

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by eak354, Jan 26, 2006.

1. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just received the letter from toyota about the SSC 50P.

I haven't had any problems with my '04, and i've been aware of the ongoing SSC for stalling, and greasing. Because of some of the posts i've been reading about screw-ups in getting it done, i've long decided not to get it.

Now that i've received the letter, has it been long enough that they already know what they're doing? I'm up for scheduled maintenance next month... i'm considering having it done... or is it still too soon?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    there was a huge software bug at first which has been corrected, and in some cases they didn't leave the battery tender on. haven't heard of any fried prius ecu's locally for a while now.

if your dealer is competent, they should be on top of things. that's one big if, though. your call.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I could be wrong but I would guess that most (all) of the Islands only have one Toyota dealer? Go down and ask to talk to the Prius Tech and feel him (her?) out.

4. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I am bringing mine in this weekend. I asked them if they had done a lot, explaining that I had heard of blown ECUs due to software. He said they themselves had blown two at first, from not leaving the battery tender on, not from software. That was an surprising admission, but it convinced me that they had fixed their procedural problems, and I feel safe taking it in now.

5. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. ;)

6. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Since this problem usually strikes without warning, that motto is risky. I don't want to be the first to have it done, so I've waited. From my dealer's (in-)experience, I'm glad I waited.

"The early bird may get the worm, but the SECOND mouse gets the cheese."

7. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :lol: thanks for all the input! i'm still leaning towards at least asking about it.

anyone from hawaii have it done?

8. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Galaxee is right in that there were some problems in the beginning with the Diagnostic Tester software. But that has been cleared up and all is ok now as long as the tech knows what he is doing. Most techs doing it should be knowledgable now as more reflashing is done(other Toyota's besides the Prius get reflashed),but you can check with your dealer if you need to feel at ease. As for the battery tender issue,you can fry an ECU in any Toyota,not just a Prius,if the battery voltage drops below 11.5 volts.

9. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) I had the SSC 50P and brake light switch replacement done at my 15,000 mile service. No discernable difference in performance or MPGs. I did wait until my dealer acknowledged having done several 50Ps.

I'm pleased also that my dealer used my oil (3½ qts Mobil-1 5W30), their oil filter, and rotated the tires to my specified pressures (40-38) and delivered my Prius freshly washed. If you're in the Dallas area, PM me and I'll tell you who to contact. This is the same dealer who installed my body side mouldings (provided by myself) at no charge.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not just post the name? Good service deserves publicity.